Providing aspiring culinarians with professional skills in leadership, supervision, and culinary preparation to obtain successful careers in the hospitality industry while emphasizing production management, showmanship, and guest service.
About the curriculum
View the classes you will be attending in the College Catalog.
Accreditation & Industry Connections
Accredited by the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Accrediting Commission (ACFEFAC).
Graduates of this program who maintain an active Junior membership in the local A.C.F. chapter are eligible to certify as a Certified Culinarian for free.
Graduates of the CY major can elect to continue their education in the four-year BCA major without loss of credits. CY grads can also elect to begin employment while working on course requirements for the four-year degree.
Cook, sous chef, line chef, garde manger, steward, catering chef.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for chefs and head cooks was $48,460 in May 2018. The top 10 percent earned more than $81,150.
Industries with the highest published employment for this occupation are:
|Industry||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Restaurants and Other Eating Places||69,680||$23.43||$48,740|
|Special Food Services||15,170||$26.52||$55,160|
|Other Amusement and Recreation Industries||6,650||$29.34||$61,030|
|Continuing Care Retirement Communities and Assisted Living Facilities for the Elderly||2,590||$23.77||$49,430|
Statistics reported in May 2018
Read more about the required internship.
Students transferring from associate degree programs at Penn College or another college will have their transcripts evaluated by Penn College officials prior to acceptance into the major.
Tools, Uniforms & Supplies
Tool List & Uniform Policy
Uniforms and tools are available for purchase through The College Store.
Clubs & Activities
American Culinary Federation
Penn College Diners' Club
Phi Theta Kappa (ΦΘΚ)
Student Government Association (SGA)
Hospitality Advisory Committee
- Mr. Daniel R Dalton, Three Rivers Program Manager, Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture
- Mr. Francis A Daniele, Chef/Owner, Joanna's Italian Bakery
- Ms. Diane L Dorner, '79, District Supervisor, Carrols Corporation
- Mr. James M Fry
- Mr. Drew Kendall, Chef, Wegmans
- Mr. Chris Kowalewski, Chief Growth Officer & Senior VP of Sales, Compass Group North America
- Ms. Samantha Liedtka-Gundlach, '10, Owner, Samantha's Kitchen
- Mr. George Logue, III, '10, Co-owner/Chef, Herman & Luther's
- Ms. Erin Oggier, '06, Executive Chef, Brock & Company
- Mr. Kristan T Patterson, Chief Artisan Baker, Penn State University Bakery
- Mr. Gary R Rice, President/Owner, Rice's Food Equipment & Consulting, Inc.
Advisory committees, which act as recommending bodies to the faculty and administration, consist of in-field professionals who act as partners in the development of curriculum. Their curricular and equipment advice as well as their industry connections and internship opportunities are invaluable to our students and to the growth of our institution.