The online applied management program is designed for students who hold an associate’s degree in a technical or professional area and would like to earn a bachelor’s degree that emphasizes management skills.
Not only will you gain the training needed to advance your career, you’ll also have the ability to complement your area of interest through directed elective courses, such as accounting, finance, management, marketing, information systems, or entrepreneurship.
The online applied management degree gives you the flexibility needed to balance your work, school, and home life. You’ll have 24/7 access to course materials, giving you the freedom to work from anywhere at any time.
As an applied management student, you’ll learn:
Managerial skills. Learn how to plan, organize, lead, and control and problem solve within an organizational setting.
Theory and practice. Curriculum integrates theory and practice, giving students a solid understanding of economic, legal, behavior and ethical business aspects.
Strategic management processes. Gain the tools needed to analyze the current business environment and make recommendations on preferred courses of action to increase efficiency, effectiveness, and productivity.
Communication skills. Learn how to communicate, integrate, and create information using information systems, quantitative analysis, and financial modeling.
Why choose an online degree?
- Accessible online anywhere in the world
- Flexible scheduling – take classes on a part-time or full-time basis
- Continue to work and be at home with your family
- Transfer-friendly programs shorten time to complete your degree
- In-state tuition rate for all students, regardless of residency
- Same rigor as on-campus programs
- Regional accreditation plus professional accreditations by program (e.g., ACBSP, ATMAE, CAHIIM, CODA)
- One-on-one interaction with faculty
- Online tutoring
- Textbooks and course materials available for purchase online through The College Store
- Graduates can participate in Commencement
- Classes delivered asynchronously through P.L.A.T.O. (Platform for Learning And Teaching Online)
- No required campus visits
- Application/Major Code: BDM – view in catalog
- School: Business & Hospitality
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
- Total Credits: 123
Out-of-State Resident Tuition
- Out-of-state students enrolled in an online degree program will receive the in-state tuition rate.
About the curriculum
The major is appealing to those students who have completed an associate degree in an area of specialization other than business and/or management and who aspire to assume management-level positions in such fields.
All students entering the program, having completed the first two years in a respective associate program, will be considered for junior-level status. Students will be expected to carry a minimum of 60 associate degree-level credits into the Applied Management major.
View the classes you will be attending in the College Catalog.
Accreditation & Industry Connections
The Accounting and Business programs have been accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
Graduates have a wide variety of employment opportunities, including advanced positions in their respective technical/professional areas, administrative services, first-line supervisors, industrial production and manufacturing, medical and health services, construction management, hospitality management, and purchasing managers, buyers, and agents. The management skills gained through the major ensure an opportunity to advance in the field. Most of our graduates are employed locally, including family businesses. Our distance graduates are employed in numerous other states as well.
Bureau of Labor Statistics provides a list of industry-specific managerial positions. Choose your related field for a Earnings Report.
Special Admissions Requirements
Students seeking entrance must have completed or be concurrently working towards a technical or professional associate’s degree, certification, or similar credential in a technical or professional area. Technical/professional credentials would include an academic focus involving scientific or technological studies. This excludes majors with a heavy business management emphasis such as marketing management, business management, or any other major with a non-technical focus. Typically, students entering this major possess 60 credits or more focused in a technical or professional area of study. Final decisions on eligibility for admission to this major resides with the academic school dean or designee.
Read more about the recommended internship.
All students entering the Applied Management bachelor-degree major will be considered for junior-level status, as they will have earned the first two years in their respective associate-degree majors. This applies to Pennsylvania College of Technology associate-degree graduates as well. It is expected that students will carry a minimum of 60 credits from the associate's degree into the bachelor's degree curriculum. Where students have not met the bachelor-degree requirements for the first four semesters, they will be required to take the necessary courses in order to complete the degree. At least 36 credits of the final four semesters of the student's profile must be satisfied by Penn College courses.
Clubs & Activities
Alpha Chi (ΑΧ)
Delta Mu Delta (ΔΜΔ)
Student Government Association (SGA)
Student-managed Investment Fund
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Business Administration Advisory Committee
- Mr. Chris W Frantz, '05, Executive Director of Marketing & Sales, Savoy Contract Furniture
- Mr. Mickey C Locey, '91, President/Co-founder, mXtr Automation
- Ms. Valerie Reynolds, Owner, My Way Media
- Mr. Samuel R Ryder, Vice President - Business Banking, First National Bank
- Mr. Ray Thompson, President, Supply Source Inc.
Advisory committees, which act as recommending bodies to the faculty and administration, consist of in-field professionals who act as partners in the development of curriculum. Their curricular and equipment advice as well as their industry connections and internship opportunities are invaluable to our students and to the growth of our institution.