Breathtaking wedding cakes expertly decorated and ready to steal the show. Rich and stunning pastries baked to perfection. At Penn College, we take pride in the craft. To bake is to create. To design something inspired. We perfect skills and master methods. Understand theory and apply it in practice. Technique is topped off with leadership lessons and the know-how to manage a bakery of your own. Take home an associate's degree in just three semesters and leave ready to dive into your future. From baking to business, your career awaits at Penn College.
- Hit the ground running. Our condensed program gives you the skills you need to excel in only three semesters.
- Show them what you've got. Internship experiences allow students to get a taste of career opportunities before they graduate. In fact, many lead to job offers!
- Learn from the best. Work alongside talented, passionate, and experienced faculty.
- Use industry leading equipment. Perfect your craft in state-of-the-art facilities with technology's finest ovens.
- Get hands-on. Small class sizes and a 3:1 lab-to-lecture ratio means lots of time to refine your skills.
- We know food best. Our on-campus year-round restaurant is the ideal place to learn.
- It's doesn't end here. Participate in opportunities to bake alongside world renowned chefs at high-profile events like the Kentucky Derby and National Candy Show.
- Live the campus life. Take advantage of the full scope of clubs, organizations, and activities.
- The path is clear. For those who want to continue their education, a bachelor's degree can be pursued after graduation.
About the curriculum
View the classes you will be attending in the College Catalog.
Accreditation & Industry Connections
Accredited by the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Accrediting Commission (ACFEFAC).
Certified Pastry Culinarian
Graduates of this program who maintain an active Junior membership in the local A.C.F. chapter are eligible to certify as a Certified Pastry Culinarian for free.
Entry to mid-level supervisory positions in bakeries, cafes, restaurants, hotels, wholesale baking establishments, and specialty bakeries. Job titles may include head bakers, confectioner, pastry cook, assistant pastry chef, and pastry chef, with strong opportunity for advancement. Entrepreneurship is also possible for those with required business skills.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for bakers was $26,520 in May 2018. The top 10 percent earned more than $40,350.
Industries with the highest published employment for this occupation are:
|Industry||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Bakeries and Tortilla Manufacturing||55,300||$13.98||$29,080|
|Food and Beverage Stores (4451 and 4452 only)||49,890||$13.58||$28,250|
|Restaurants and Other Eating Places||37,550||$13.23||$27,520|
|Special Food Services||3,330||$14.30||$29,750|
Statistics reported in May 2018
Read more about the required internship.
Students transferring from associate degree programs at Penn College or another college will have their transcripts evaluated by Penn College officials prior to acceptance in the major.
Tools, Uniforms & Supplies
Tool List & Uniform Policy
Uniforms and tools are available for purchase through The College Store.
Clubs & Activities
American Culinary Federation
Penn College Diners' Club
Phi Theta Kappa (ΦΘΚ)
Student Government Association (SGA)
Hospitality Advisory Committee
- Mr. Daniel R Dalton, Three Rivers Program Manager, Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture
- Mr. Francis A Daniele, Chef/Owner, Joanna's Italian Bakery
- Ms. Diane L Dorner, '79, District Supervisor, Carrols Corporation
- Mr. James M Fry
- Mr. Drew Kendall, Chef, Wegmans
- Mr. Chris Kowalewski, Chief Growth Officer & Senior VP of Sales, Compass Group North America
- Ms. Samantha Liedtka-Gundlach, '10, Owner, Samantha's Kitchen
- Mr. George Logue, III, '10, Co-owner/Chef, Herman & Luther's
- Ms. Erin Oggier, '06, Executive Chef, Brock & Company
- Mr. Kristan T Patterson, Chief Artisan Baker, Penn State University Bakery
- Mr. Gary R Rice, President/Owner, Rice's Food Equipment & Consulting, Inc.
Advisory committees, which act as recommending bodies to the faculty and administration, consist of in-field professionals who act as partners in the development of curriculum. Their curricular and equipment advice as well as their industry connections and internship opportunities are invaluable to our students and to the growth of our institution.