The Automotive Service Sales and Marketing degree prepares students for careers in automotive service specializing in the customer relations and marketing of service related retail sales.
Students have the option of developing technical skills in either automotive maintenance and repair, or in collision repair.
Internships provide actual work experience in production and customer relations while business courses further develop skills in management, marketing, and sales.
Graduates have a diverse set of skills and abilities that could prepare them for "green" careers focused on energy, renewable energy, and the environment.
About the curriculum
View the classes you will be attending in the College Catalog.
Accreditation & Industry Connections
The first year technical courses contained in the degree are certified by the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation in both automotive and collision repair.
Assistant service manager, service adviser, service writer, parts manager, sales of automotive service/merchandise, and sales and marketing of specialized automotive service equipment.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for automotive service technicians and mechanics was $40,710 in May 2018. The top 10 percent earned more than $66,950.
Industries with the highest published employment for this occupation are:
|Industry||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Automotive Repair and Maintenance||230,100||$19.78||$41,140|
|Automotive Parts, Accessories, and Tire Stores||63,800||$18.42||$38,320|
|Local Government, excluding schools and hospitals (OES Designation)||15,860||$25.40||$52,820|
Statistics reported in May 2018
This major is subject to the transfer standards established by the College. Exceptions must be approved by the school dean.
Tools, Uniforms & Supplies
You are required to have a uniform for lab classes. It is recommended that you purchase three uniforms.
Uniforms and tools are available for purchase through The College Store.
Clubs & Activities
Penn College Motorsports Association
Automotive Advisory Committee
- Mr. Tom Barnes, Manager, Steve Shannon Tire and Auto Centers, Inc.
- Mr. Michael Bastian, Owner, Bastian Tire Sales
- Mr. Christoper B Brown, Hyundai Service Manager, Jack Giambalvo Motor Co., Inc.
- Mr. Caleb Cartmell, '16, '18, Customer Service Advisor, Blaise Alexander Chevrolet
- Mr. J. Michael Faryniak, Jr., '00, Automotive Instructor, Jersey Shore Area High School
- Mr. Joseph D Fosko, Senior Service Specialist, AAA East Penn
- Mr. Steve Kaiser Jr., General Manager, Fairfield Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram
- Mr. Beau Keyte, '00, Service Manager, Blaise Alexander Chevrolet
- Mr. Andrew Leigey, '01, '05, Automotive Instructor, Williamsport Area High School
- Mr. David K Plessinger, '78, Owner, Economy Auto Parts
- Mr. Nick Rieber, '08, '10, Assistant Service Manager, The Faulkner Organization
- Mr. Philip Rizzo, Operations Director, Blaise Alexander Management Company
- Mr. Alan Wyland, Owner, Dave's Service Center
Advisory committees, which act as recommending bodies to the faculty and administration, consist of in-field professionals who act as partners in the development of curriculum. Their curricular and equipment advice as well as their industry connections and internship opportunities are invaluable to our students and to the growth of our institution.