Students develop the skills necessary to repair, maintain, diagnose malfunctions and prescribe corrective action for:
- maintain diesel-powered highway vehicles
- industrial equipment
- marine vehicles and equipment
- diesel service management
- theory and skills of refrigeration, electronic and mechanical fuel injection
- chassis maintenance
- vehicle inspection and tune-up
- engine overhaul and transmission repair
- brake service
- handling hazardous waste
Opportunity to earn certification in:
- Stationary Refrigeration (608)
- Motor Vehicle Air-Conditioning (609)
- Allison Transmission Certification
- Level 1 Eaton Hybrid Certification
Graduates are prepared to take the Pennsylvania Vehicle Safety Inspection Examination and upon graduating from the program and securing two years of diesel National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Examination in heavy duty truck mechanics.
Graduates have a diverse set of skills and abilities that could prepare them for employment in the natural gas industry.
About the curriculum
View the classes you will be attending in the College Catalog.
Accreditation & Industry Connections
Accredited by the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF).
Heavy-duty commercial truck technician for a truck dealership, independent garage, truck fleet, or leasing company; contractor or transport refrigeration technician; field service technician representative for diesel engine manufacturer/distributor and the natural gas industry.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for bus and truck mechanics and diesel engine specialists was $46,360 in May 2017. The top 10 percent earned more than $69,870.
Industries with the highest published employment for this occupation are:
|Industry||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Local Government, excluding schools and hospitals (OES Designation)||24,800||$26.42||$54,960|
|Automotive Repair and Maintenance||23,650||$22.01||$45,790|
|Motor Vehicle and Motor Vehicle Parts and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers||21,140||$23.39||$48,650|
|Automotive Equipment Rental and Leasing||12,640||$22.65||$47,110|
Statistics reported in May 2017
This major is subject to the transfer standards established by the College. Exceptions must be approved by the school dean.
Tools, Uniforms & Supplies
Uniform (required for all labs)
- Leather work shoes or boots
- Glasses, safety, clear lens/black frames
Uniforms and tools are available for purchase through The College Store.
Clubs & Activities
Diesel Performance Technicians Association
Diesel Technology Advisory Committee
- Mr. Don Casterline, Owner, Casterline Diesel, Inc.
- Mr. Christopher R Clary, Manager, Operations, IMG Midstream
- Mr. Eric Faust, Equipment Maintenance Foreman, Halliburton Energy Services
- Mr. Matthew Fogtman, On-highway Product Support Representative, Alban CAT
- Mr. Joseph Leasure, Operations Manager, Service & Rental, Cummins Bridgeway, LLC
- Mr. Christopher Malm, General Service Manager, Power Generation, West Branch Diesel
- Mr. Frank Miller, Sales Manager, Parts & Service, Kenworth of PA
- Gregory A Moore, Sr., Senior Field Technician, Fidelity Engineering, Inc.
- Mr. Gregory A Moser, Manager, FedEx Freight
- Timothy B Moyer, Technical Trainer, Refrigeration, Penn Power Group
- Mr. Jack Neidig, Instructor, SUN Area Career & Technology Center
- Mr. John Niebauer, General Manager, W. W. Engine & Supply, Inc.
- Mr. Michael Ritchey, Vice President/Owner, Curry Supply Co.
- Mr. Raymond A Roland, Shop Operations Manager, Travel Centers of America
- Mr. Douglas C Wetzel, Engine Training Instructor, Cleveland Brothers Equipment Company, Inc.
- Mr. Jay A Zeigler, Manager, Truck Engine Department, Cleveland Brothers Equipment Company Inc.
Advisory committees, which act as recommending bodies to the faculty and administration, consist of in-field professionals who act as partners in the development of curriculum. Their curricular and equipment advice as well as their industry connections and internship opportunities are invaluable to our students and to the growth of our institution.