Prepare for a new career in the health services industry; one of the fastest growing occupations in the United States today!
Classroom and laboratory instruction prepares participants to perform general administrative, receptionist, and basic clinical procedures in doctor's offices, clinics, medical facilities, and human service agencies. Medical assistants primarily work in outpatient settings, keeping offices and clinics running smoothly.
Upon completion, participants may earn the Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) credential offered by American Medical Technologists (AMT) and Phlebotomy Technician certification and Certification Billing and Coding Specialist certification offered by the National Healthcareer Association.
The Medical Assistant program is held in two locations: Main Campus in Williamsport and Penn College at Wellsboro.
Topics covered include:
- Responsibilities & role of the medical assistant
- Anatomy and physiology
- Medical terminology
- Communication & professionalism
- Ethics and medical law issues
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) privacy
- Employment outlook & job search skills
Medical office practice includes:
- Computer skills: Microsoft Word, and Excel
- Medical records management
- Medical coding and billing
- Medical insurances
- Reception, scheduling, and customer relations
- Human resources
- Office management
Clinical skills include:
- Medical histories
- Assisting a physician or nurse
- Vital signs and EKG's
- Medical and surgical asepsis
- Safety and emergency procedures
- Basic lab procedures and phlebotomy
800 hours of instruction and laboratory experience plus a 160-hour externship in an office setting
To be considered for enrollment in the program, you must complete an application by the stated deadline and have:
- High school diploma or GED
- Positive referral from a counselor, caseworker, or medical professional based on program technical standards
- Evidence of good mental and physical health as determined by a pre-entrance medical exam and documentation of immunizations required
- Criminal background checks clear of prohibitive offenses as required by clinical facilities
This is a clock-hour program eligible for federal financial aid. For more information, visit Admissions & Aid.
Program Statistics (2012)
- Total program costs, including tuition, books, and supplies: $9,900
- Median loan debt for 2010/11 program: $9,500
- On-time completion rate: 100%
- CIP codes associated with program: 510801 and 511001
- Center for Business & Workforce Development
matches /business/workforce-development/wellsboro/medical-assistant-program ... percision: 3 of 2