Relish Today… Ketchup Tomorrow

Published 08.11.2017

Tia La

by Tia La

Pre-physician assistant student

Blog

As the school year draws increasingly near, bringing new students with it to campus, I find the most common question I encounter is “What is there to do around here?”

The answer: whatever you decide to make happen.

The biggest piece of advice I can give my fellow students is to be proactive. Introduce yourself first, make friends, be open-minded, and make the decision to have fun. If you live on campus, you’ll likely get RAs and other students knocking on your door to invite you to various events. Why only wait for them to come to you? It’s so easy to find things to do at Penn College.

With the warm weather we’ve been having, why not get some friends together at one of the campus grills?

To make things more cost effective, you can coordinate with your friends so everyone contributes an item. You can also make the most of your meal plan by using your flex or declining dollars to buy charcoal, paperware, plasticware, hot dogs, buns, soda, water, chips, and dip at Fuel and Wildcat Express. If you’re feeling more adventurous and want to prepare your own food, there are several grocery stores easily reached by bike, bus, foot, or car.

The campus has brushes, pans, and bins available to clean the grills. Just bring your own lighter, charcoal, and cooking utensils.

You could also choose to set up a hammock so you have a place to relax.

If you or any of your friends are culinary majors or foodies, this is a great time to experiment with flavor profiles! As an alternative to the classic ketchup, mustard, and American cheese, I chose to put arugula, garlic aioli, and swiss cheese on my burger.

and the connections we make that will stay with us.