The Plumbing certificate program includes:
- basic theories of plumbing
- soil waste and vent layout
- household and industrial maintenance
- sewage systems
- use of hand and power tools
Students develop skills in all types of plumbing repair work used in residential, institutional, and commercial applications. The certificate also provides training in the fundamentals of communication and mathematics.
The certificate program can be completed in one academic year. Students may transfer into the HVAC associate degree major and should consult with an academic advisor if interested in pursuing an associate degree. The additional year of study in the HVAC major can expand skills in air conditioning and heating.
About the curriculum
View the classes you will be attending in the College Catalog.
Plumbing installation, industrial maintenance, public utilities service, machine work and shipbuilding industries.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters was $52,590 in May 2017. The top 10 percent earned more than $91,810.
Industries with the highest published employment for this occupation are:
|Industry||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Building Equipment Contractors||311,690||$27.47||$57,140|
|Nonresidential Building Construction||16,560||$29.40||$61,160|
|Utility System Construction||15,280||$25.70||$53,450|
|Local Government, excluding schools and hospitals (OES Designation)||11,360||$26.72||$55,580|
Statistics reported in May 2017
This major is subject to the transfer standards established in the College Catalog (www.pct.edu/catalog/TransferringCredits.htm). Exceptions must be approved by the school dean.
Tools, Uniforms & Supplies
Uniforms and tools are available for purchase through The College Store.
Clubs & Activities
Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA)
American Society of Heating, Refrigerating & Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
HVAC Technology Advisory Committee
- Mr. S. Curtis Bierly, Jr., President, The Bierly Group, Inc.
- Mr. Darin Bressler, Facilities Supervisor, Bldg. Services, HVAC/Refrigeration, PSU
- Mr. Paul Burd, Manager of Refrigeration & Store Service, Weis Markets, Inc.
- Adrian E Hales, Branch Manager, Makdad Industrial Supply
- Mr. Jeremy Hazlak, Energy Projects Manager, Weis Market, Inc.
- Mr. Michael D Jackson, Interim Supervisor HVAC & Controls, Penn State University
- Mr. Michael Kelleher
- Mr. Daren Lewis, Facilities Supervisor, The Pennsylvania State University
- Mr. Brandon M Marshall, Applications Engineer, Carel USA LLC
- Mr. Christopher McNally, Service Branch Manager, Johnson Controls, Inc.
- Mr. Gregory J Miller, Project Manager, Southland Industries
- Mr. Daniel E Ogden, retired
- Mike Snyder, HB McClure
- Aaron A Weaver, Northeast Regional Sales Manager, Raypak
- Bradley Willis, Project Engineer, Johnson Controls
Advisory committees, which act as recommending bodies to the faculty and administration, consist of in-field professionals who act as partners in the development of curriculum. Their curricular and equipment advice as well as their industry connections and internship opportunities are invaluable to our students and to the growth of our institution.
Schedule a tour
Meet with Admissions, tour the labs of your intended major, explore campus, and more during an Academic School Tour.
Tuesday, June 26
Tuesday, July 10
Tuesday, August 7
Tuesday, August 7