Achieving goals on and off the field

Published 11.17.2021

MB

by Megan Bugbee

Architecture and sustainable design student

Blog

Meet Megan Bugbee, a star on the field and in the classroom.

Megan was named a BE Scholar by the National Science Foundation for her academic achievements. She was also singled out by the North Eastern Athletic Conference for balancing her team commitment with personal accomplishments. In the words of her instructor, “she always strives for progress, and truly believes that there are no shortcuts to any place worth going.” 

Why did you choose Penn College and the student-athlete experience as a Wildcat?

I was recruited for the Penn College Women’s Soccer team. After visiting campus and finding out that the College also offered an architecture program, I knew it was a perfect fit for me.

What is your most memorable moment as a Wildcat?

Making it to playoffs with my team.

What characteristics do you believe all Wildcats share?

I think all Wildcats share some level of passion for what they are studying and the sport they play. It is hard work to be a student-athlete, so you must love what you do at the end of the day.

What do you respect most about your coach and teammates?

I love how passionate and caring Coach Christa (Matlack) is. Our team can come to her about anything, and she will be there to help. My teammates are like a big family; it is refreshing to come to practice and see smiling faces.

How is your student-athlete experience complementing your academic goals?

Being a student-athlete has taught me how to manage my time and be very successful in the architecture program at Penn College. I plan to become a licensed architect.

If someone was hearing of Penn College and our Wildcats for the first time, what would you tell them?

Our Wildcats create a supportive community. If anyone needs help with anything while transitioning to the college experience, it is easy to find.

What enhancements have you experienced as a result of donor funding?

During my time as a student-athlete, UPMC Field was built, and several other facility improvements were completed. Donor support is very much appreciated, and I am grateful for our Wildcat Club members, who contribute to help improve our programs.

What excites you most about the future of Wildcat Athletics?

The idea of continued improvement and possible facility enhancements – like an updated Field House.