School of Hospitality Students Manage, Plan Menus at Le Jeune Chef
Buffet menus created by students at Pennsylvania College of Technology will be served to the public on Sundays and Mondays this fall at Le Jeune Chef, the college's fine-dining restaurant.
Student managers in the School of Hospitality's Breakfast and Brunch course are given a theme, for which they choose recipes to be included on a buffet. Each student includes on the buffet a meat-carving station, an omelet station, and other breakfast and lunch favorites. They determine quantities and costs and plan kitchen coverage for their shift.
During their assigned shift, the student managers help to run the kitchen at Le Jeune Chef under the direction of Judith P. Shimp, associate professor of food and hospitality management/culinary arts.
They manage preparation for both the breakfast menu, which is available from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., and the buffet, which is available from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Food for both the breakfast menu and the brunch buffetis prepared by the class.
The student managers and their themes are:
- Oct. 23Andrea L. Kessel, Milton; and Yolanda T. Rauwendaal, Auburn, Calif., "Apple Festival."
- Oct. 24David L. Davis, Kingston; and David J. Kelly, Ephrata, "In the Black Forest."
- Oct. 30James A. Jones, East Stroudsburg; and Jessica M. Shiko, Berwick, "Halloween."
- Oct. 31Amanda R. Miller, Montgomery; and Erin L. Weixel, Mill Hall, "Halloween."
- Nov. 6Scott A. Fowler, Dunkirk, Md.; and Kyle Kishbaugh, Nescopeck, "Italian Brunch."
- Nov. 7Lynzi K. Green, Port Matilda; and Rochelle A. Vitabile, Phoenixville, "Italian Brunch."
- Nov. 20Christine L. Faherty, Wantage, N.J., and Hannah E. Miles, Williamsport, "Autumn Harvest."
- Nov. 21Justin E. Graff, Linesville; and Robert G. Steward, Williamsport, "Autumn Harvest."
- Dec. 4Michael R. Everd, Baltimore; and Stephen J. St. Andre, Danville, "Brunch in the French Quarter."
- Dec. 5Eric R. Lynch, Orangeville; Christopher R. Grove, "Brunch in the French Quarter."
- Dec. 11Phillip E. Heath, Elizabethtown; and Jennifer R. McHenry, Lock Haven, "Holliday Buffet."
- Dec. 12Adam J. Krasley, Spring City, "Holiday Brunch."
Reservations are recommended: call (570) 320-CHEF. For menus and more information about the student managers and Le Jeune Chef Restaurant, visit on the Web .