College Health Services

Good health is important to the successful completion of your college career. College Health Services is committed to the promotion of wellness through health education, prevention, early diagnosis and treatment of illness. All currently enrolled students and current employees are eligible to be assessed in College Health Services. Medical records are kept confidential, and are not released without your written authorization. There is no charge to students for office visits, though a nominal fee will be charged for immunizations, medications, and supplies received.

All currently enrolled students and current employees are eligible to be assessed in College Health Services. Each student is required to have a completed Incoming Health History on file, accessible through My Health Online and will be asked to present their Penn College ID card. Visitors are provided with basic first aid in the event of an accident on campus.

Routine Services

  • Emergency treatment
  • Assessment of acute illnesses
  • Allergy injections
  • Equipment loans (crutches, arm slings)
  • Infirmary for ill students during regular office hours
  • Immunizations (fees apply)
  • Health Sciences, Sports and Driver's License Physicals (fees apply)
  • Over the counter medications (fees may apply)
  • Limited prescriptions written by College Physician (fees apply)
  • Referrals to outside agencies (Sports' Medicine, Dermatology, ENT)
  • Counseling referrals
  • Condom distribution
  • Pregnancy tests
  • Phlebotomy and laboratory services (fees may apply, insurances accepted)
  • Dressing changes
  • Suture and staple removal
  • Health education and materials
  • Blood pressure screenings

Health Records/Immunization Requirements

All enrolled students are required to have an Incoming Health History form on file with College Health Services.

A complete list of current prescription medications – particularly those taken for a prolonged period of time, such as seizure, hypertension, or diabetic medication – should be noted on this form, in case of an emergency. (If you live on campus and keep this medication in your room, it must have been prescribed to you and have the original label on the bottle.)

Students are not required to have a physical exam, but we ask for written verification of immunizations to gain entry to Penn College, additional immunization requirements may be required for certain programs and for participation in varsity sports.

On Campus Housing

Students who live in on-campus housing should have an Immunization Verification form on file with College Health Services. Per Penn College policy, it is a Housing requirement to have the meningitis conjugate vaccine (Menveo, Menactra (MCV4)). Prior to moving into the residence halls, documentation must be provided by completing our immunization forms indicating your immunization against meningitis; and this vaccination must be no more than 5 years old. For additional information regarding immunization requirements at Penn College or to submit you immunizations records online, please visit our Immunization Requirements page.

Meningitis Information Immunization Requirements

Health Insurance

You do not need health insurance to attend college. However, illnesses, emergencies, and accidents can cost thousands of dollars, and health insurance is strongly encouraged. If you are not already covered under a parent’s or guardian’s health plan*, we recommend that you consider enrolling in a student health plan, even if you have other insurance.

Some options include:

  • E.J. Smith & Associates (Numerous insurance plans that can be utilized by college students. Most plans are individual voluntary plans. One group limited benefit policy specifically for college students that merely requires a school signature. There is no minimum participation requirement. Essentially, all plans are on the website. These plans include access to a Private Health Insurance Exchange for Affordable Care Act (ACA) plans, Short Term Medical plans, Dental plans, International Student Health Insurance, etc.)
  • Associated Insurance Plans (These health insurance programs permit the individual to select their Deductible, their co-Insurance (either 70% or 80% payment) and Maximum Benefit, so these programs can be modified to fit a specific budget. Effective dates can be as early as the following day, and these plans can be cancelled if the need for coverage no longer exists. Monthly payment is available.
  • Marketplace (Check to see if you are eligible for an ACA acceptable Health Plan.)

While College Health Services does not accept health insurance, we will give you a receipt for your visit which you can claim with your private insurance for reimbursement.

If you have other insurances, such as medical, dental, and prescription, you should bring the cards, or photocopies of the front and back of the cards, to college. We are fortunate to have five hospitals within 40 minutes of the College and 27 pharmacies in the Williamsport area.

*Students should research the type of health or prescription plan they have and how it works. Some plans cover non-emergency expenses only if the College is within the plan's geographic area. Some require referrals for certain services or lack coverage for out-of-network providers. Some prescription cards can only be used at network pharmacies that are inaccessible to college students without personal transportation. Most plans provide coverage only to full-time students and only until they are 23 years of age.

Crisis Intervention

The Counseling Services office provides crisis intervention services for mental health emergencies during the hours of 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. When in crisis, students may call 570-327-4765 or stop by the office to meet with a counselor as soon as possible.

Evening and weekend response is available by contacting the Penn College Police Department at 570-321-5555 or by speaking with a Residence Life staff member.

Crisis Text Line

  1. Text HOME to 741741 from anywhere in the USA, anytime, about any type of crisis.
  2. A live, trained Crisis Counselor receives the text and responds quickly.
  3. The volunteer Crisis Counselor will help you move from a hot moment to a cool moment

Learn more

Counseling Services

Learn more

Access resources for suicide prevention,
sexual misconduct, and mental health.

Contact information


Get more information about academics, campus life, and more.


Ready to experience all campus has to offer? We have a visit option designed just for you.


With open enrollment and rolling admissions, applying is easy.