Did you know that veteran’s educational benefits can be transferred? Military members and veterans may opt to give their benefits to a family member or dependent. If your family member was disabled or died because of their service, you may also be eligible for their benefits.

Hands-on learning is in reach.

As long as you meet eligibility requirements, you can take advantage of special aid programs and scholarships exclusively for military families. The best part? They are considered gift aid, which means you typically don’t need to pay back a penny.

Benefit Opportunities

We encourage you to work with a member of our team to maximize your benefits. Your options may include:

  • Chapter 33 – Post-911 GI Bill®Gives qualified veterans and dependents (with transferred entitlement) up to 36 months of educational assistance.
  • Educational Gratuity Program Provides financial assistance to children of honorably discharged veterans who have service-connected disabilities and served during a period of war or armed conflict or children of veterans who died while serving.
  • Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship Benefits children and dependents of veterans. If your parent or spouse was an active-duty service member who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, you may qualify for this benefit.
  • Military Family Education Program Gives tuition assistance to family members of qualified members of the Pennsylvania National Guard.
  • Penn College Benefits Offers in-state tuition, regardless of your state of residency plus priority scheduling to veterans’ dependents receiving benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance Program Assists children and spouses of veterans and service members who have died, been captured, are missing, or have disabilities.

Eligibility Guidelines

To be eligible and qualify for benefits awarded by Penn College, you must be in one of the following military affiliations:

  • Active Service MemberAny military member currently in an active duty or drilling reservist status in any branch of the uniformed services. Penn College requires that you show a valid military-issued ID card to verify active duty status.
  • VeteranAny person who served in any status with a branch of the uniformed services, and:
    • Has received a DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty;
    • Where block 24 of your DD-214 (Character of Service Narrative) shows Honorable.
  • Dependent or Family MemberThis includes those who are entitled to VA educational benefits under Code of Federal Regulations, title 38, section 21 [Vocational Rehabilitation and Education (2011)]. Penn College requires a "member 4" or long form copy to verify Veteran Military status. Contact the Coordinator of Veteran & Military Services for clarification about Character of Service Narratives.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government website.