Seven Student Leaders Honored With Penn College Awards
Anthony J. Pace, director of student activities, presided over the May 10 event before a supportive audience of families, friends and college employees. Davie Jane Gilmour noted in her welcoming remarks that the students she encounters, embodied in the campus leaders being celebrated at dinner, have been her utmost motivation through 40 years as a college employee – 20 as the institution's president.
An alphabetical list of recipients, their hometowns and majors, an admittedly partial list of their considerable campus and community activities, and representative comments from their many references:
Bryonna A. Aldubayan
Applied health studies: occupational therapy assistant concentration
Introduced by Cathy E. Gamez, hall coordinator for Rose Street Commons
- Senior Resident Assistant, Occupational Therapy Assistant Club, Awesome Woman Exemplar, Wildcat Events Board, Cultural Life Committee, Residence Life Halloween Party, Open House, Glowga, Take Back the Night, Black History Month Soul Food Dinner, Galentine's, "Aging in Place" presentation to Williamsport Technical Institute reunion, Student Leader Committed to Social Justice and Diversity, Dean's List
"She does not just attend events as a student on the sidelines; she attends them as a student leader. Bryonna takes time to ask questions, to share knowledge and to engage with other students. Through her passion and willingness to get involved, she has made a huge difference in the lives of both students and staff here at Penn College. We are most certainly a better place because of Bryonna and the impact she has had on our campus community."
Caleb E. Cartmell
Automotive technology management
Introduced by Pace
- December 2016 commencement speaker and President's Award recipient, Student Government Association (president, executive vice president and senator from the School of Transportation & Natural Resources Technologies), College Council, Penn College Motorsports Association (president, vice president and treasurer), Connections Link, Student Activities Assistant, CRU, Martin Luther King Day of Service, car shows (among PCMA events), Dean's List
"I believe Caleb is an excellent example of what we want all of our student leaders to be. He is involved in a number of ways on campus ... (and) is always willing to meet with students, student organizations and offices to enhance the student experience and the college. Caleb rises above his peers and is impacting student life, enacting meaningful change at Penn College."
Efrem K. Foster
Foster was unable to attend, as he was out of town on reserve duty.
- Omega Delta Sigma veterans fraternity (president, vice president and secretary), Veterans Club, "Mission 22" veterans suicide awareness video, Greek Senate, Senior Resident Assistant, Open House, Welcome Weekend, Homecoming Weekend, Wildcat Events Board, Box City, Random Acts of Kindness, Toys for Tots, holiday card decoration, Wildcat Egg Hunt, Dean's List
"Some of the most remarkable gifts that Efrem shares with the Penn College community are his sense of empathy, his compassion and his spirit of grace, especially when he is confronted with hardship – whether they are his own or he is assisting someone in tackling their own problems. Efrem works hard at everything that he chooses to dedicate his time to and, in my experience, he possesses a level of perseverance, conscientiousness and steadfastness that is rare among his peers."
Alexandra M. Lehman
Business administration: sport and event management concentration
Introduced by Allison A. Bressler, assistant director of student activities for programming and Greek life
- Spring 2018 commencement speaker and recipient of the Academic Vice President/Provost's Award, Presidential Student Ambassador, Wildcat Dance Team (and related events, including the South Williamsport Mummers Parade and the Mayor's Annual Tree-Lighting in Williamsport), Awesome Women Exemplar, Perkins Participatory Planning Committee, Delta Mu Delta business honor society, Office of Facilities and Events intern, Spanish tutor
"Her knowledge of protocol and practice is based on experience, common sense and intuition – all qualities of a natural leader. Her service to Penn College is heartfelt and remarkable. Alex always has a smile and a kind word for everyone. Her tenure as a student worker has been most productive, and she will be a valued professional in all her future endeavors. Thank you for your consideration."
John M. Matthews
Introduced by Jessica L. Bower, simulation laboratory coordinator, nursing education
- Student Nurse's Association (president, treasurer, Glow Walk organizer for American Cancer Society, Daffodil Days, social media, hurricane relief, Red Cross blood drives, fundraisers, Nightingale Gala and tutoring), Alpha Chi Honor Society (treasurer), Skills USA, Science Festival, Nontraditional Student Organization, Penn Pal mentor, Fall Fusion, Golf Cart Beer Run for alcohol awareness, holiday card decoration, Dean's List
"He has a lot on his plate, but he makes it all work. John is also a genuinely nice guy, and any future employer will be very lucky to have him as part of his or her staff some day. I will be happy to allow him to care for any of my family members as a nurse. I trust him to provide the best nursing care that he can do."
Introduced by Bressler
- Student of the Month, Wildcat Events Board (including service as events coordinator and business coordinator), Sigma Pi (president, herald, philanthropy chairman and events coordinator), Greek Senate, security chairman for Student Activities concert, THON, Camp Victory, Central Pennsylvania Food Bank, SPCA, Habitat for Humanity, MLK Walk, river cleanup, Breast Cancer Awareness, Donate Life organ-donor awareness, Children's Diabetes Foundation, Ronald McDonald House, Dean's List
"I have watched Andrew grow into the leader he is today – always a team player, insightful and generating new ideas. Whichever organization he was a part of, he has always wanted to move the organization forward. Andrew has been great to work with and has an accomplished path while at Penn College. I look forward to seeing what he accomplishes in the future."
Hanna Jo Williams
Marion, New York
Industrial and human factors design, studio arts
Introduced by John F. McNichol Jr., head coach, women's soccer
- Spring 2018 commencement speaker, Scholar Athlete of the Year, New Student Leader of the Year, Wildcat soccer and tennis teams, Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (including representation at NCAA national convention), New Student Leader of the Year, Alpha Chi national honor society, National Association of Home Builders competition, Penn College Construction Association, Society of Inventors and Mad Scientists, Awesome Woman Exemplar, Firetree Place volunteer (among numerous community service projects), Pie the Coaches event, Read Across America, Dean's List
"Hanna is very passionate about Penn College, always wanting to leave her impact to make a club, team or organization better because of her involvement. Many students will find one niche in their college life and not expand upon it; Hanna, on the other hand, wants to explore everything to make herself a better person. Hanna is never satisfied with just being average and coasting to the finish, instead she always has the mindset to finishing harder than you start. She is a tremendous ambassador for Penn College and Wildcat Athletics."
Among others attending the awards banquet were Loni N. Kline, vice president for institutional advancement; Elliott Strickland, chief student affairs officer; Shannon L. Skaluba, Student Activities information center assistant; and two student leaders who served on the awards selection committee: Presidential Ambassadors Jonathan R. Hendrickson, software development and information management, and Dianna R. Weaver, business administration: management concentration.