Students to Assist at 2008 Free Flu-Shot Clinics in Lycoming County
Students enrolled in the School of Health Sciences at Pennsylvania College of Technology will partner with state and local organizations to administer free flu shots throughout Lycoming County in November.
Nursing, paramedic and physician assistant students will administer free flu and pneumococcal vaccine and will distribute educational materials regarding the immunizations at the seven clinic sites. The students will be supervised by Penn College faculty and a Pennsylvania Department of Health nurse.
The program is accomplished through a partnership with the Lycoming County Health Improvement Coalition, the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Susquehanna Health, Penn College, and local fire departments and community centers.
"We are proud to participate in this partnership that provides our health sciences students, with the help of supporting faculty, the opportunity to experience the importance of service learning within the community," said Sharon K. Waters, dean of health sciences.
In addition to providing student volunteers to staff the clinics, Penn College printed materials that are given to the fire companies to help promote the events. Susquehanna Health provides a mobile health van for the effort.
The 2008 flu clinics will be held at:
- Hughesville Fire Department, Wednesday, Nov. 19, 8:30-10 a.m.
- Keystone Hook and Ladder Co. (Muncy), Wednesday, Nov. 19, 12:30-2:30 p.m.
- Montgomery Volunteer Fire Co., Wednesday, Nov. 19, 3:30-5 p.m.
- Waterville Volunteer Fire Department, Thursday, Nov. 20, 9-10 a.m.
- Wheeland Center (Jersey Shore sponsored by Citizen Hose Co. and Independent Hose Co.), Thursday, Nov. 20, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Hepburn Township Volunteer Fire Co., Thursday, Nov. 20, 3-5 p.m.
- The Campbell Street Center, Friday, Nov. 21, 9 a.m.-noon
The vaccines are given on a walk-in basis and are supplied by the state Department of Health's Division of Immunization through funds from State Health Improvement Plan partners.
For more information about the School of Health Sciences at Penn College, visit online or call (570) 327-4519. To learn more about the college, visit on the Web , e-mail or call toll-free (800) 367-9222.