Building Operator Certification (BOC®) is the premier, nationally recognized, competency-based training and certification program for facilities personnel. It teaches the job skills needed to make facilities more comfortable, energy-efficient, and sustainable.
It is the essential credential for facilities management, operation, and maintenance staff. The training and the credential clearly communicate the value that certified operators deliver to their organizations.
View the BOC Mid-Atlantic brochure.
Learn a lot and
save a lot
The BOC is the only training that performs independent, third-party research to ensure participants are saving energy at their facilities. On average, it’s over $10,000 a year per participant.
This 8-day course fosters group learning. Participants are encouraged to discuss challenges that they are aiming to address in a class full of diverse and unique expertise.
A comprehensive course project will help participants immediately apply what they learn. This helps ensure mastery of concepts and drive instant energy savings.
Current Course Offerings
BOC Course Series
BOC is designed for facilities management, operation, and maintenance staff who wish to broaden their knowledge of the total building system. Participants will demonstrate competence in evaluating their facility’s HVAC operation, lighting and electrical system, energy consumption, and maintenance status.
To receive a BOC Training Certificate of Completion, participants must attend six core classes and one supplemental class, pass open-book exams, and complete on-site facility projects assigned. All classes are one-day sessions unless noted otherwise.
- BOC 1001 - Energy Efficient Operation of Building HVAC Systems (2-day class)
- BOC 1002 - Measuring and Benchmarking Energy Performance
- BOC 1003 - Efficient Lighting Fundamentals
- BOC 1004 - HVAC Controls Fundamentals
- BOC 1005 - Indoor Environmental Quality
- BOC 1006 - Common Opportunities for Low-Cost Operational Improvement
- BOC 1009 - Building Scoping for Operational Improvement
View BOC course descriptions.
Earn the Credential
Candidates who have earned the BOC Training Certificate of Completion are eligible to sit for the BOC certification exam. Upon passing the exam, candidates can begin using Certified Building Operator (CBO) credential.
The Certified Building Operator (CBO) Exam is scheduled through NEEC, the national BOC administrator, upon successful completion of the course series.
Exam fee: $285
BOC Questions & Answers
What are the program eligibility requirements?
Eligibility is based on work experience and education.
Participants need a high school diploma or GED and must have one of the following:
- two or more years of experience working in operations and maintenance of a commercial or institutional facility,
- a minimum of one year of experience working in operations and maintenance of a commercial or institutional facility AND one year of technical college level education in commercial or industrial facilities operations and maintenance,
- two or more years of experience in energy management of commercial, institutional, or industrial facilities with a focus on operations and maintenance.
How do I maintain my certification?
The continuing education of building operators improves their ability to adapt to changing building equipment, practices, and technologies. To remain certified, a building operator must accumulate maintenance points (5 points/year) following the date of certification. Renewal notices are issued annually in January for re-certification. The fee is $65. Please visit BOC’s website for more information on maintaining your certification.
How do I find out more about the Building Operator Certification?
Can I arrange to have a BOC course for a group at my location?
Absolutely. Please contact NSSC to discuss further.
To schedule a class or request more information, please contact us: