Subject to the guidelines as specified in the Faculty Agreement, some retirees are eligible for continued health insurance benefits until their eligibility for Medicare. There will be two parts to the plan: The PPO Blue Qualified High Deductible Health Plan (QHDHP) and a Health Savings Account (HSA) or Health Reimbursement Account (HRA).

Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) and Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRAs) are accounts that can be established for those who are enrolled in a Qualified High Deductible Health Plan (QHDHP) as determined by the IRS. Both the employer and the qualified retiree can contribute to an HSA, while only the employer can contribute to an HRA. Penn College contributions to a retiree’s HSA or HRA are subject to the provisions within the Faculty Agreement and are based on years of service.

Retirees who have not yet signed up for an HSA or HRA will need to complete a two-step process in order to participate in the HSA/HRA plan:

STEP 1: All retirees who are covered by the College's health insurance plan who wish to establish an HSA or HRA are required to complete either the HSA Enrollment Form OR the HRA Employee Attestation Form. See below to determine which form you should complete.

Mail the completed form to One College Avenue, Williamsport, PA 17701, DIF 53 or email an electronic scan of the signed form to

STEP 2: The information from completed forms will be sent to Discovery Benefits and an online account will be established. You will then receive a welcome email from Discovery Benefits with instructions for logging into your account. Once logged in, you will register your account and then debit cards will be issued with 10-14 business days. You will not be able to access the funds until you have registered your account. 

A few things to keep in mind:

  • First, you must determine if you qualify for an HSA per IRS guidelines. To qualify for an HSA:  (1) You must be covered by a Qualified High Deductible Health Plan (QHDHP), such as the College's plan; (2) you must NOT be covered by any other health plan that is not a QHDHP; (3) you must NOT be enrolled in Medicare yourself (although your spouse may be enrolled in Medicare and covered by the QHDHP and use your HSA account funds); (4) you must NOT be claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return; and (5) your spouse must NOT be enrolled in a general purpose FSA (a non-QHDHP).​
  • If you do not qualify for an HSA, you can enroll in an HRA, but only if you are eligible for the College contributions in accordance with the Faculty Agreement and if you meet the number of years of service requirement. Contact Human Resources if you have questions about eligibility.
  • If eligible, the (Individual) or (Family) College contribution to HSAs/HRAs will be made in a lump sum and will be available to spend (as long as the retiree has properly registered their account). However, funds in the HSA can only be spent as the contributions are received by Discovery Benefits through either the Penn College contribution or contributions made directly to Discovery Benefits by you, the retiree.
  • The IRS-imposed HSA maximum is based on the total of retiree and Penn College contributions (if applicable) made to your account during the calendar year. Please check with a tax advisor or refer to appropriate IRS publications for additional information.
  • When you sign up for the HSA, you are signing up for a bank account with Healthcare Bank. Please review the Healthcare Bank Custodial Agreement and Disclosure Statement (linked at the right). You must read and agree to the Custodial Agreement and Disclosure Statement on the Discovery Benefits Participant Portal (upon registering for your account and before you will be able to utilize the available funds). In certain cases, Discovery Benefits may ask for proof of your identity as a requirement of the USA Patriot Act. Please refer to the HSA FAQs document (linked at the right) for more information. 

Contact information

Pennsylvania College of Technology
DIF 53

One College Avenue
Williamsport, PA 17701