College Expands Dual-Enrollment Offerings to Include Plastics

Published 11.18.2009

Plastics & Polymer Engineering Technology

Pennsylvania College of Technology continues to expand the variety of its courses available to high school students through the Penn College NOW dual-enrollment program.

The college received an $85,000 grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development to offer a selection of its plastics and polymer technology courses in high school classrooms.

High school students who take the courses are taught by their high school teachers during the regular school day and receive a grade and credits that will appear on their college transcript. To ensure the courses are equal in content and rigor to those offered to students on campus, the high school teachers are trained by Penn College faculty and use the same textbooks, lab assignments and tests as those offered on campus.

A plastics and polymer technology class is already enrolled at Jersey Shore Area Senior High School. The college's Outreach for K-12 Office, which coordinates the program, anticipates offering classes at Hughesville High School and Loyalsock Township High School in the spring semester and expanding to Montoursville Area High School and Williamsport Area High School in 2010-11.

To deliver the courses, participating schools receive a self-contained training unit, developed by Amitrol, on which students can perform major plastics-manufacturing processes.

The Outreach for K-12 Office also received an $80,000 grant to continue offering information technology courses at area high schools and career and technology centers through the Penn College NOW dual-enrollment program.

To learn more about services provided by the Outreach for K-12 Office at Penn College, visit on the Web or call 570-320-8003.

For information about Penn College, visit online , e-mail or call toll-free 800-367-9222.

For more information about grant-funding opportunities, faculty and staff may contact the Grants and Contracts Office at ext. 7562 or through its Web portal.