International Programs Office Shares Gilman Scholarship Information
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is accepting applications from students participating in study abroad programs during the Fall 2009 semester (or the 2009-10 academic year). The application, which is due April 7,is available online.
During the 2009-10 academic year, more than 1,200 scholarships will be awarded, including an increased number of Critical Need Language Supplements of $8,000 to students studying a Critical Need Language. The Gilman Scholarship is open to all United States undergraduates, in good academic standing, who meet the criteria listed below:
- Receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant during the term of study abroad.
- Currently applying to or has been accepted into a study abroad program eligible for credit by the student's institution of higher education in the United States
- Studying abroad for at least four weeks in one country
- Studying abroad in a country not currently under a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning or in Cuba.
- Studying on a program that begins between July 15 and Oct, 15, 2009. The fall cycle encompasses fall semester, quarter and academic year programs that are a minimum of four weeks in length. Summer-only study abroad programs are not eligible.