The reading test is given in two parts, matching the samples provided on this page. The answers to both sections are provided at the bottom of the page in a gray box.
Read completely through the passage, then answer the questions following the passage. You may look back at the material that you have read, but do not puzzle too long over any one question.
Recently, scientists have become increasingly concerned about pollution and its effects on the weather. Actually, man's pollution of the atmosphere is not nearly as great as nature's. In fact, man is the lesser offender compared to nature itself. Specifically, active volcanoes, evaporation of impure water, and wind erosion of the landscape spew 8.5 billion tons of chemicals into space each year. Man's contribution consists of a mere half billion tons. What man contributes, though, is unable to escape very far into the atmosphere, so he must breathe, eat and drink his own pollutants. Further research by environmental scientists is required to determine if gradual weather changes are related to atmospheric pollution.
- Which sentence best expresses the main idea?
- Man's pollution is less than nature's but is more harmful.
- Nature's pollution affects man directly but accounts for only a fraction of the total pollution.
- Man and nature pollute the atmosphere and directly influence the weather.
- Man's pollution is less than nature's and is of minor concern.
- Which idea does the paragraph support?
- Steps should be taken to control the weather.
- Nature's pollution can be controlled.
- Man is committed to a cleaner environment.
- Study is needed on causes of weather changes.
- One of the aims of the paragraph is:
- to persuade the reader to stop polluting.
- to inform the reader of recent research.
- to present facts and opinions about pollution.
- to argue for government controls of pollution.
* © Jamestown Publishers, Providence, RI. Reprinted by permission.
Select the response that best completes each sentence.
- An assertion is:
- an insertion
- an essential
- a statement
- a certainty
- Celerity means:
- Fauna is a word for:
- vegetable life
- certain live animals
- a deer
- animal life
- Frenetic people are:
- very honest
- very well spoken
- extremely active
- extra intelligent
- Intrepid means:
- Covert activities are:
- Contemporary authors are:
- Proffer means:
- make a friendly gesture
- hold up
- offer for acceptance
Sample Test Answers
Comprehension: 1.c 2.d 3.c
Vocabulary: 1.c 2.a 3.d 4.c 5.d 6.d 7.b 8.d