This major prepares students for a wide variety of employment opportunities in commercial and industrial settings. The major emphasizes skills and knowledge in troubleshooting and repair of electrical/electronic and mechanical equipment. Specialized course work includes programmable logic control and its use in commercial and industrial applications.
Electromechanical Maintenance Technology (MT)
(Effective Fall 2016)
- School of Industrial, Computing & Engineering Technologies
- Associate of Applied Science Degree (A.A.S.)
- Natural gas major
- More Information about Electromechanical Maintenance Technology
Electrical maintenance technician in commercial and industrial settings such as utilities, hospitals, schools, and manufacturing facilities; building superintendent and maintenance supervisory positions.
Recommended High School Subjects
Students entering this major should complete secondary courses in algebra, trigonometry, and science (physics recommended).
Special Equipment Needs
See the Tool List on the Electromechanical Maintenance Technology major web page.
All entering students will be tested for English, math, and reading deficiencies. Students are expected to remediate any deficiencies as explained in the College Catalog (www.pct.edu/catalog/PlacementTesting). Math placement requirement: level 3 or higher.
This major is subject to the transfer standards established by the College (see http://www.pct.edu/catalog/TransferringCredits ). Exceptions must be approved by the school dean.
Program GoalsA graduate of this major should be able to:
- demonstrate safe work habits in performance of maintenance tasks.
- use knowledge of troubleshooting techniques to identify and solve problems with electromechanical devices found in industry.
- read blueprints, electrical and mechanical drawings; interpret related specifications.
- demonstrate knowledge of electrical principles and laws; apply mathematical formulas to solve electrical problems in both direct and alternating current equipment and systems.
- apply knowledge of electrical codes.
- demonstrate knowledge of general and OSHA safety practices.
- demonstrate basic skills in arc welding; oxy-acetylene welding and cutting; gas tungsten arc welding; gas metal arc welding.
- communicate in both written and verbal forms to successfully interact with peers and subordinates.
- write clear, concise, accurate technical reports.
- work with others in a cooperative and team effort in the solution of maintenance problems.
- use basic diagnostic and test equipment and measuring devices to analyze and problem solve.
- demonstrate knowledge in programmable logic control (PLC) and motor control.
- apply algebra and physics in the analysis and solution of maintenance problems.
|FYE101||First Year Experience||1|
|ELT111||Direct Current Fundamentals||5|
|ELT116||Construction Lab I - Residential||5|
|SAF110||Occupational Health and Safety||2|
|MTH180||College Algebra and Trigonometry I||3|
|ENL111||English Composition I||3|
|ELT122||Alternating Current Fundamentals||5|
|MTT104||Manufacturing Processes and Toolmaking Survey||3|
|MTT211||Manufacturing Materials and Processes||3|
|ELT130||Electrical Drawing and Print Reading||2|
|ENL201||Technical and Professional Communication||3|
|CSC124||Information, Technology, and Society||3|
|EET124||Engineering, Technology, and Society||3|
|FIT||Fitness and Lifetime Sports Elective||1|
|ELT234||Electrical Motor Control||4|
|PLH214||Piping and Mechanical Applications||3|
|PHS114||Physics with Technological Applications||4|
|WEL100||Introduction to Welding Processes||3|
|CIM227||Material Handling/Fluid Power||3|
|IMT221||Commercial/Industrial Equipment Installation and Troubleshooting||3|
|ELT245||Introduction to Programmable Logic Control||4|
|ELT246||Electrical Machinery Analysis||3|
|ELT229||Process Control Basics||3|
|SSE||Social Science Elective||3|
|FOR||Foreign Language Elective||3|
|AAE||Applied Arts Elective||3|
|IFE||International Field Experience Elective||3|
Get more information about academics, campus life, and more.
Ready to experience all campus has to offer? We have a visit option designed just for you.
With open enrollment and rolling admissions, applying is easy.