This program is designed to provide working knowledge of computer numerical control (CNC) operations, programming, and set-up on mills, lathes, and other metalworking equipment. Coursework includes mill and lathe operations, precision measurement, blueprint reading, and CNC programming.
Effective Fall 2022
Jobs are widely available for graduates. More than four million machinist jobs are expected to open in the near future. Job titles may include: Machinist; CNC Machinist; CNC Operator; Machining Operator; CNC Setup and Operator; and/or CNC Swiss Machine Setup Technician.
Recommended High School Subjects
Coursework with an emphasis on metalworking, machining, blueprint reading, and technical mathematics.
Special Equipment Needs
See program Tool List for major.
All incoming students must meet placement requirements in math. Students are expected to remediate any deficiencies as explained in the College Catalog (see https://www.pct.edu/catalog/admissions-policy).
This major is subject to the transfer standards established by the College (see https://www.pct.edu/admissions/transfer/transferring-credits). Exceptions must be approved by the school dean.
Program GoalsA graduate of this major should be able to:
- demonstrate safe work habits when operating manual and automated CNC machine tools.
- demonstrate knowledge of the creation and interpretation of mechanical drawings using both standard and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) formats.
- demonstrate knowledge of manual machine setup and operations, cutting tool selection, and safe machining techniques for milling and turning applications.
- demonstrate knowledge of CNC machine tool setup, programming and operations, cutting tool selection, and tool geometry offsets for milling and turning applications.
- apply knowledge of shop mathematics in determining machining and programming parameters such as cutting feeds and speeds, horsepower, torque, and productive machining times.
- apply knowledge of CNC program creation and simulation using conversational, word address, and computer aided design (CAD)/computer aided manufacturing (CAM) programming software.
|FYE101||First Year Experience||1||.50||1.50||S||REQ|
|CIM102||Introduction to CAD/CAM||3||2||3||M||REQ|
|CIM104||CNC Machining & Programming I||3||2||3||M||REQ|
|MTH123||Technical Algebra & Trigonometry I||3||2.50||1.50||S||REQ|
|CIM124||CNC Machining & Programming II||4||2||6||M||REQ|
|MTT131||Quality Control with GD&T||4||1||9||M||REQ|
|ENL111||English Composition I||3||3||S||REQ|