Residential Construction Technology and Management: Building Construction Technology - Masonry Concentration (BRN)
(Effective Fall 2019)
- School of Construction & Design Technologies
- Bachelor of Science Degree (B.S.)
- Green major
- More Information about Residential Construction Technology and Management: Building Construction Technology - Masonry Concentration
The Bachelor of Science degree in Residential Construction Technology and Management is focused on the management of construction projects typified by single-family detached residential housing. The program is based on applied masonry skills in their first four semesters, followed by advanced coursework related to residential construction and management. Additional coursework includes basic management and accounting, advanced estimating and scheduling, residential building systems, cost control, codes compliance, construction law, purchasing, and energy management issues.
Students may also choose to declare the Building Construction Technology - Masonry Emphasis associate-degree major (MN) by declaring a dual degree.
Job opportunities will be focused primarily in the residential housing industry: builder, contractor, specialty contractor, project supervisor, warranty manager, estimator, purchasing agent, job foreman, site supervisor, inspector, project coordinator, project planner.
Recommended High School Subjects
Desired high school subjects: algebra and trigonometry, English and composition, physics, computer skills, and trade skills in carpentry, masonry, HVAC, drafting, electrical, etc.
Special Equipment Needs
See the Tool List on the Building Construction Technology Masonry major web page.
Success in college-level coursework requires minimum levels of proficiency in math, reading, and English. Therefore, all new students must meet placement requirements to demonstrate their skills in these three areas.
Students are expected to remediate any deficiencies as explained in the College Catalog (see www.pct.edu/catalog/PlacementTesting).
This major is subject to the transfer standards established in the College Catalog (www.pct.edu/catalog/TransferringCredits). Exceptions must be approved by the school dean.
A graduate of this major should be able to:
- develop and implement a comprehensive job-site safety plan in accordance with applicable standards, and be able to ensure project compliance with all pertinent safety and insurance regulations.
- interpret project drawings, make necessary changes during the construction process, and evaluate the impact of changes on schedules, costs, and resource requirements.
- apply knowledge of current and emerging building system technologies and codes to evaluate, propose, and plan construction projects for distinctive residential construction projects.
- manage all aspects of the residential construction process including marketing, planning, estimating, scheduling, quality control, and coordination of job-site resources.
- communicate effectively with all groups involved in the residential construction process including prospective owners, subcontractors, skilled and unskilled laborers, supervisors, and government representatives.
- organize and manage all aspects of project cost control using appropriate specialized software and computer hardware.
- apply knowledge of basic legal and contractual requirements of residential construction projects and be able to incorporate the requirements into plans, drawings, communications, and construction practices.
- manage human resources aspects of construction project personnel in areas of staffing requirements, training, ethical responsibilities, policy issues, ADA compliance, equal opportunity legislation, union and non-union labor, and conflict resolution.
|FYE101||First Year Experience||1|
|BCT103||Construction Hand and Power Tools||1|
|BCT104||Construction Safety and Equipment||1|
|BCT110||Site Preparation and Layout||2|
|CSC124||Information, Technology, and Society||3|
|MTH180||College Algebra and Trigonometry I||3|
|MTH124||Technical Algebra and Trigonometry I||3|
|BCT117||Construction Materials and Application I||3|
|BCT107||Print Reading and Architectural Drafting||3|
|ENL111||English Composition I||3|
|FIT||Fitness and Lifetime Sports Elective||1|
|MCT230||Advanced Masonry Principles||5|
|MCT262||Structural Masonry Systems||5|
|ENL201||Technical and Professional Communication||3|
|BCT256||Residential Construction Planning, Scheduling and Management||3|
|BCT268||Construction Technology Applications||3|
|BCT305||Codes in Construction||1|
|PHS114||Physics with Technological Applications||4|
|FOR||Foreign Language Elective||3|
|AAE||Applied Arts Elective||3|
|IFE||International Field Experience Elective||3|
|ACH135||Architectural Computer Aided Drafting||3|
|BCT307||Managing Construction Safety||3|
|ACC113||Introduction to Financial Accounting||3|
|MGT115||Principles of Management||3|
|SPC101||Fundamentals of Speech||3|
|SSE||Social Science Elective||3|
|BCT300||Residential Management I||3||Writing Enriched Requirement|
|BCT321||Residential Design and Build||1|
|BCT322||Managing Changes During Construction||1|
|ACC210||Payroll, State, and Local Taxation||3|
|MTH172||Introduction to Geometry||3|
|MTH182||College Algebra and Trigonometry II||3|
|BCT496I||Senior Project Internship||3|
|BCT340||Land and Property Development||1|
|BCT308||Residential Management II||2|
|BCT330||Residential Building Systems||3|
|FIT||Fitness and Lifetime Sports Elective||1|
|BPT||Cultural Diversity Elective: Humanities/Social Science/Art/Foreign Language/Applied Arts/Int'l Field Exp||3|
|BCT411||Advanced Residential Estimating and Scheduling||3|
|BCT420||Advanced Mechanical Systems||2|
|BCT430||Contemporary Issues in Residential Construction||3||Science, Technology and Society Requirement|
|COR||Liberal Arts Elective||3|
|MGT248||Supervision and Human Relations||3|
Endorsed by the Pennsylvania Builders Association.
Get more information about academics, campus life, and more.
Ready to experience all campus has to offer? We have a visit option designed just for you.
With open enrollment and rolling admissions, applying is easy.