Early Childhood Director (021)
(Effective Fall 2005)
- School of Sciences, Humanities & Visual Communications
- Competency Credential
- More Information about Early Childhood Director
This online curriculum is designed for current and future directors and/or owners of early care and education programs. Combined with the appropriate degree and required work experience in the field, this credential enables students to earn the Pennsylvania Early Childhood Director Credential. This program of study should make individuals attractive candidates for director positions in programs, especially those participating in Pennsylvania's Quality Initiative, Keystone Stars. The course work emphasizes the director as one who assumes a leadership role in programmatic and administrative areas, including curriculum, program planning and quality, staff supervision, pedagogical practices, and support for young children and their families. This credential consists of nine credits beyond an associate's degree in a field specified by PA Key. A grade of 'C' or higher must be earned in each course, and an elective used to satisfy the requirements for an associate's degree may not be used for this credential. For further information see the Pennsylvania Early Learning Keys to Quality website: www.pakeys.org
Director Credential course work is offered using the "cohort" model; students begin and complete course work in a designated progression. Cohorts are formed on an as-needed basis; therefore, not all courses are offered every semester.
- A competency credential must be completed within three years of enrollment in the credential.
- Non-traditional credit such as credit-by-exam, work/life experience, and transfer credit is limited to one third of the total credits in the credential. Two thirds of the requirements must be completed by course enrollment.
- Students must earn a grade of C or better in each course to merit the credential.