We believe that the presence of international students on campus enriches the educational environment for all students. The College is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students on "F-1" student visas. In addition to the admission requirements below, please see our International Programs Office website for information about services for international students as well as study abroad opportunities for our current students.
The International Application for Admission, required documentation, and tuition deposit must be received in the Admissions Office by June 1 for the fall semester and November 1 for the spring semester.
- International Application [online form] [printable form]
- Non-refundable application fee - $50 (check, money order, Visa, MasterCard, or wire transfer). If you apply online, you must pay by credit card.
- Transcripts - Official copies, in English, of all educational transcripts (high school and postsecondary academic records and diplomas from universities/colleges in the U.S. or other country, if applicable); no faxed copies accepted. All transcripts must be transcribed by World Education Services (WES), www.wes.org.
- Financial Guarantee (or Affidavit of Support) - Certification that the student/sponsor has available funds to cover the yearly (nine months) cost of education and living expenses in the U.S.; must send originals; no faxed copies accepted. All financial documents referenced below must be dated within the last six months.
- If you or a family member will sponsor you, submit an official bank letter stating the current balance AND a letter from the account holder(s) stating the amount that he/she is willing to guarantee toward your educational costs.
- If you will be sponsored by a permanent resident of the U.S. or a U.S. citizen, the sponsor must complete an I-134 and submit the appropriate documentation.
- If you will be sponsored by a private institution or government agency, provide a letter from an appropriate official of that agency, including information about the duration of the financial support.
- Proof of English language proficiency - Required for applicants whose native language is not English.
Additional Information for Applicants to Health Sciences Majors
International students who wish to apply to majors in the School of Health Sciences should be aware of transfer restrictions and special admissions requirements.
English Language Proficiency
It is the student's responsibility to prove he/she has the competency to read, write, and understand the English language. Proof of English language proficiency can be provided through any of the following:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores of 520 (190 computer based or 68 Internet based) or better; TOEFL scores must be originals, sent directly from Educational Testing Services to Penn College (ID# 2989)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS), Academic format, band score of 6.0 or higher
- Completion of one year of academic (not English preparatory or vocational) course work (24 credits) with a 'C' average (2.0) or higher; completed within the immediately previous 24-month period at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university
- SAT Critical Reading score of 420 or higher and a writing sub-score of 6 or higher
- Verification that the student has graduated from a secondary or post-secondary school in a country where English is an official language and the student's language of instruction while attending was English
See also our English as a Second Language (ESL) program.
Students who are currently studying in the U.S. must also supply the following:
- Copies of current I-20, Passport, I-94 & Visa
- Permission to Transfer Form (to be completed by your current International Student Adviser)
Students who wish to transfer from another college must supply college/university course descriptions or course catalog (in English). Often the syllabus for each class is needed. If transferring credits, have the college/university send your official transcript for evaluation to:
World Education Services, Inc. (WES)
PO Box 745, Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY 10113-0745