This program prepares graduates to take the Practical Nursing National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) to become licensed practical nurses in Pennsylvania, prepared to seek employment in nursing homes, hospitals, assisted living facilities, physician offices, clinics, and home care agencies.
Penn College at Wellsboro Practical Nursing Information
Instruction takes place over a total of 1,504 hours, with classes and clinical experiences scheduled Monday through Thursday and every other Friday over the course of one calendar year. Clinical experiences take place in a variety of acute and long-term care settings. The program begins each year in January and ends in December.
Potter County Part-Time Program
A part-time clock hour program is offered over the course of twenty months, with classes and clinical experiences held during evening/weekend hours. Classroom and nursing lab instruction are held at the Potter County Education Council in Coudersport and Seneca Highland Career & Technology Center in Port Allegany. Clinical experiences take place at Cole Memorial Hospital, Sweden Valley Manor, and other local facilities.
All Scholastic Requirements and Curriculum remain the same as the Full time Program.
Program Costs (for 2017)
Cost: $16,500 (includes textbooks)
Housing is not available.
A $350 non-refundable tuition deposit is due within two weeks after notification of acceptance; the deposit will be applied to the full tuition fee. The balance is due 10 working days prior to the first day of class.
Other costs: Participants are responsible for uniform, health exam and immunizations, liability insurance, supplies, travel expenses, background checks, and personal costs. All fees are subject to change. Contact Penn College at Wellsboro for more information.
To be considered for enrollment in the program, you need:
- A high school diploma or GED - Recommended high school subjects include three years of science and four years
of English, social studies, and math (including algebra).
- Satisfactory performance on the pre-entrance assessment exam.
- An admission application submitted with a nonrefundable $50 application fee. (Please note: Application for the program will be mailed after satisfactory performance on the pre-entrance assessment exam is achieved.)
- Two letters of character reference with writer's name, address, and telephone number.
- FBI, state police, and child abuse clearances, clear of prohibitive offenses (in compliance with clinical facilities) and current through the entire program.
- An interview with the program coordinator.
- Complete health screenings that are required by the program. Placement in the program is conditional until health requirements are met.
- Negative drug test.
- All application information submitted by October 1st prior to the start of the January class. Acceptances will be mailed by October 15.
For program information, call 570-724-7703 or send your name, address, and phone number to:
Penn College at Wellsboro
PO Box 368
Wellsboro, PA 16901
Full Approval Status by: PA State Board of Nursing, P.O. Box 2649, Harrisburg, PA 16105
Visit www.pa-pna.org to see what's happening in PN education in Pennsylvania.
Scholastic Requirements & Curriculum
- Level I: 496 Hours
- HSC 500 - Structure and Function of the Human Body
- HSC 501 - Fundamentals of Practical Nursing
- Level II: 496 Hours
- HSC 502 - Nursing Care of Adult and Child I
- Level III: 512 Hours
- HSC 503 - Nursing Care of Adult and Child II
Grades of 75% to 78% or better in all classes and satisfactory performance in the clinical/lab area are required to successfully complete program requirements. Attendance for 1,504 hours is mandatory to meet graduation requirements.
- Median loan debt for 2013 program: $14,666
- On-time completion rate: 100%
- CIP code associated with program: 51.3901
- Placement rate in the field of nursing for 2013 program: 86%
- LPN nursing statistics