U.S. Department of Energy
BPI Continuing EducationBPI Test Center

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) collaborated with technicians and trainers from across the home performance industry to develop high-quality, nationally-recognized professional certifications. These new certifications focus on the most important jobs in the home energy upgrade industry: energy auditor, retrofit installer technician, crew leader, and quality control inspector.

The Home Energy Professional (HEP) certifications are supported by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), developed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), and administered by the Building Performance Institute, Inc. (BPI).

The National Sustainable Structures Center (NSSC) at Pennsylvania College of Technology is a participating BPI Test Center that offers the written and field practical exams for all of the Home Energy Professional certifications. In addition, we offer training and curricula that align with the industry-accepted HEP Job Task Analysis (JTA) for all of the job classifications.

All of NSSC’s Home Energy Professional training programs (Quality Control Inspector, Retrofit Installer Technician, Crew Leader, and Energy Auditor) are IREC accredited under the IREC Standard 01023:2013. NSSC is the first training center in Pennsylvania to offer accredited training for all four Home Energy Professional programs.

Home Energy Professional Certification Exams

A written exam and a field exam are required for each of the Home Energy Professional certifications. Prior to taking the exams, candidates must submit an application to BPI for approval. Please visit the U.S. Department of Energy’s About Home Energy Professional Certifications website or the Building Performance Institute’s website for the most up-to-date information on the HEP certifications and how to apply for approval.

Home Energy Professional Certification Training & Testing

View the list of courses, workshops, and certification exams associated with the Home Energy Professional certifications below, as well as course descriptions and upcoming course dates.

The following table summarizes the training associated with each Home Energy Professional certification.

Individuals that wish to take coursework in this training program must complete a Home Energy Professional Training Program Application and submit to NSSC along with proof of completion for the prerequisite coursework. After your application has been approved by NSSC, you may enroll in training program courses.

Career Resources for Home Energy Professionals

Organizations Seeking to Hire a Home Energy Professional:

If your organization is seeking to hire a professional in the home energy upgrade field, contact NSSC to post your position on this page.

Looking for a job in the home energy upgrade field?

Email your resume to NSSC, and it will be shared with relevant organizations seeking to hire.

For more information on green/energy efficiency jobs, please visit Building Performance Institute, Inc. (BPI). Follow or join the following LinkedIn groups:

  • A/E/C (Architecture, Engineering, Construction) & Green JOBS + Oil & Energy, Solar, Wind, Smart Grid
  • Building Performance Institute, Inc.
  • Building Science Community
  • Consortium for Building Energy Innovation (CBEI)
  • Efficiency First
  • Energy Efficiency Professionals
  • Energy Professionals
  • Green Jobs & Career Network
  • Home Energy Magazine
  • RESNET BPI – Energy Audit and Home Performance
  • Sustainability Professionals
  • Women in Home Performance

Home Energy Professional Questions & Answers

Are the new certifications replacing any of BPI’s existing certifications?

The new certifications are not replacing BPI’s existing certifications. The new certifications are for experienced industry professionals. They are tailored to the specific job tasks of each role: energy auditor, retrofit installer, crew chief, and quality control inspector, and have significant work experience prerequisites attached to them. As experienced BPI certified professionals’ certifications come up for renewal (every three years), individuals may want to consider one of the new certifications. BPI’s existing certifications will remain important building blocks for gaining experience and ensuring technicians have the broad building science knowledge they need to build their careers.

Are these certifications available to workers and employers outside of the WAP?

The certifications are available to workers and employers outside of the WAP. DOE, NREL, and BPI have all seen significant interest from the private sector regarding these certifications. Many of the candidates applying to take the exams are technicians in the field from the private sector. There has also been outreach to and great interest in the certifications from the wider home performance industry, utilities, and companies that provide energy efficiency services to utilities.

Do I have to take coursework in order to sit for an HEP exam?

No, but it is highly recommended that you review the Certification Scheme Handbooks and Prerequisite Criteria listed on BPI's HEP website to make sure you have the necessary knowledge, skills, experience, and/or coursework that are required to sit for the exams.

How do I get a course certificate?

Energy professional courses have a written exam and field (hands-on) exam at the end of the course. All courses with tests require a passing grade (70% or above) in both the written and lab examinations in order to receive a course certificate.  If a participant does not pass both examinations, he/she is encouraged to receive one-on-one mentoring from an instructor to determine whether to take the exam(s) or the whole course again.