Penn College is ready to welcome you... and give you the opportunity to learn more about what it takes to be successful at Penn College. Whether you are enrolling in college for the first time or transferring from another college or university, you will benefit greatly from participating in these Penn College activities.
Each of these items is important in achieving success at Penn College. Use this checklist to keep track of what you have completed and what you still must do. E-mail email@example.com or phone 800-367-9222 if you have questions or need assistance.
Choose the right career and major
- I know the type of career I am interested in pursuing.
- I know what college major is associated with the type of career I wish to pursue.
I have contacted Penn College Career Services for assistance in selecting the right career and college major.
- I understand that acceptance into a Penn College major is based on my placement test results.
- I attended my pre-enrollment advising session (after placement testing) and discussed my choice of career/major with Penn College advisers.
Choose the right college
- I compared colleges that offer programs related to my career choice.
- I understand the value of applied technology, which combines classroom lecture/theory with hands-on experience in laboratories and in the workplace.
- I understand the value of program accreditations and have compared colleges' accreditations.
- I compared college campuses and considered options for housing, dining, studying (library and open laboratories), recreation, and other activities.
Apply for admission
- I understand the Penn College admissions policy and process.
- I know how to contact the Admissions Office if I have questions or concerns.
- I understand that in-state or out-of-state residency determines my rate of tuition.
- I asked my high school to send my transcript to the Penn College Admissions Office.
- If I attended another college or university, I asked to have my official transcript forwarded to the Penn College Admissions Office for transfer credit review.
- If I require accommodations for disabilities, I contacted the Disability Services Office.
- I understand the importance of taking my SATs/ACTs and having my scores sent to the Penn College Admissions Office directly from College Board/ACT.
Get to class
- I know how to read my class schedule.
- I know how to use a campus map to find my classes and locate student parking.
- I understand the importance of attending every class.
- I understand the importance of getting to class on time.
- I understand that classes will end approximately 10 minutes before the scheduled end time to allow time for back-to-back classes.
Prepare for academic success
- I understand the careers associated with my major and the importance of meeting academic requirements to be successful in my field of study.
- I know the name of my major (and its code/abbreviation) and my academic school.
- I met my school dean.
- I met faculty in my major.
- I understand that any developmental requirements I have will impact my program of study.
- I identified my faculty adviser (using SIS) and I understand that he/she plays an important role in helping me achieve academic success.
- I reviewed the requirements of my major in the online College catalog and understand that I am responsible for meeting all requirements before I am eligible to graduate.
- I understand the process of scheduling classes.
- I understand that I am not officially registered for classes until I have paid my tuition.
- I understand that I can drop or add classes by following official College procedures.
- I understand that dropping classes, not attending or withdrawing from classes, and changing majors may affect my academic progress, and delay my graduation.
- If I decide to change my major, I know I must contact the Registrar's Office.
- I know that my student profile/transcript is a record of my academic progress (class schedule, grades, etc.) held by the Registrar's Office.
- I know how to calculate my grade-point average at the end of each semester to ensure I am making academic progress.
- I know that failure to make satisfactory academic progress could lead to academic probation and/or dismissal from Penn College.
- I know how to use tutoring and other academic services offered by the Academic Success Center.
Be financially responsible... be sure to meet deadlines
- I calculated my estimated expenses for tuition and other costs associated with college life.
- I completed and submitted my FAFSA to determine my eligibility for financial aid.
- I know that financial aid may include free grants as well as loans that must be repaid and I am careful not to exceed a reasonable debt load.
- I am careful to avoid financial aid and loan scams.
- I searched for and applied for scholarships.
- I know that part-time and work-study jobs may be available on campus.
- I know that failure to make required satisfactory academic progress could lead to the loss of my financial aid.
- I know how to use my Penn College student ID to use free bus transportation in the community.
- I understand Penn College's billing process and how to use eBill.
- I understand how to request optional services (meal plan, parking permits, etc.) through eBill.
- I understand the refund process and how to access my refunds.
- I understand how to use the Bank Mobile Vibe card if I choose to receive it (and to know the difference between this and my student ID card).
- I know how to buy new/used textbooks, discounted hardware/software, tools, and supplies through The College Store.
- I know that being an active member of the campus community is important.
- I know that being a good citizen and neighbor in the local community is important.
- I learned about student organizations and Greek Life and activities outside of class.
- I explored opportunities for intercollegiate athletics, club sports, and intramural/extramural programs.
- I know that being an active student leader is an important way to build my resume and enhance my opportunities for success.
- I have my Penn College student ID card.
- My name, address, and contact information is up-to-date on my official record in the Registrar's Office, which can be updated online through SIS.
- I know/use my Penn College e-mail address; Penn College offices will use this address to stay in contact throughout my enrollment.
- I know/use SIS and the myPCT student portal.
- I know how to contact the Information Technology Services Student Help Desk for assistance with computer related questions and concerns.
Be safe and socially responsible
- I understand my rights and responsibilities as a member of the Penn College community.
- I understand my responsibility to abide by laws and by Penn College policies.
- I subscribed to PCT Alerts to be notified of campus closings, emergencies, and class cancellations.
- I know how to keep myself safe – on and off campus – and how to respond in case of an emergency.
- I know how to request assistance from the Penn College Police and how to use on-campus emergency call boxes.
- I know how to report a crime or policy violation.
- I am aware of potential dangers of alcohol and drug use and reckless socializing (including online social networking).
- I know that counseling services are available to assist me in dealing with personal and academic problems.
- I know how and when to use on-campus health services.
- I am covered by medical insurance and have provided insurance information to College Health Services.
- I have completed all health forms and required immunizations.
- If I choose to live off-campus or commute from home, I am aware of the Off-Campus Living & Commuter Services Office and the services it provides.