Whether you are starting in the fall or spring, taking summer courses is an effective way to integrate developmentals into your major.

Fall start
If you will be enrolling in the fall semester (August), you may choose to get a head start on your developmental courswork by taking summer courses either at Penn College or at another institution. Remediating academic weaknesses prior to enrolling in your first full semester ishighly recommended by Penn College deans and faculty. Your pre-enrollment advising session is a good time to discuss and plan summer coursework.

Spring start
If you will be enrolling in the spring semester (January) you may take courses during a subsequent summer term, either at Penn College or another institution, to catch up on coursework displaced by developmentals. You may begin to explore this option during your pre-enrollment advising session and then work with your faculty adviser in your first semster (around scheduling time) to plan summer coursework.

Taking Summer Courses at Penn College

We offer all of our developmental courses during the summer at a discount. On-campus housing is available.

For fall enrolling students, summer course scheduling will open in April. If you attend a pre-enrollment advising session in April or later, you may schedule summer courses at your session. If you attend an advising session prior to April, you may contact Academic Services by phone to schedule a summer course.

See Search Course Offerings for course availability, dates, and times.

Taking Courses at Another College

To take a course at a different college, complete the following steps:

  1. Before scheduling a course at another school, be sure that you are scheduling the right course. Academic Services can provide you with a course equivalency, or you may look up equivalencies using our Transfer Course Equivalency Search.
  2. Once you have identified an equivalent, contact the college you plan to attend to discuss the process you will need to complete to enroll in the course.
  3. When you have completed the course, have the college or university send an official transcript to the Penn College Admissions Office.
    • You must earn a grade of “C” or higher (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) to transfer the course. Grades below C will not transfer.
  4. Contact Academic Services to update your schedule.
    • Note: We must have evidence that you have completed a course with a C or higher before we will update your schedule. However, since most summer and fall classes end shortly before Penn College classes begin, your official transcript might not arrive in time for the start of the semester. Therefore, you may provide alternative documentation, such as an unofficial transcript showing your final grade or a grade report from your instructor; this will allow us to update your schedule prior to the first day of classes. Your documentation should be sent to the Registrar's Office. The Registrar’s Office will still require an official transcript from the other institution before granting the transfer credit.

Academic Services



Student & Administrative Services Center, Rm. 1047

Pennsylvania College of Technology
Academic Services

One College Avenue
Williamsport, PA 17701

Pennsylvania College of Technology
DIF 119

One College Avenue
Williamsport, PA 17701