Students develop the knowledge and skills needed to:
- safely operate selected heavy construction equipment
- use specialized equipment for site layout
- perform preventative maintenance
- recognize efficient machine operation
- estimate project cost
- manage job sites
Electives courses include Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Preparation, Forklifts and Aerial Work Platforms, Quarry Operation, Welding, or business management and marketing courses.
Students can complete 2 associate's degree programs in 3 years by enrolling in the dual degree option.
Graduates have a diverse set of skills and abilities that could prepare them for employment in the natural gas industry. Read more...
About the curriculum
View the classes you will be attending in the College Catalog.
Heavy construction equipment operator for a construction company or natural gas industry, mine or quarry leasing company, solid waste or heavy construction equipment dealership, field sales representative for equipment distribution.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for operating engineers and other construction equipment operators was $45,890 in May 2016. The top 10 percent earned more than $80,200.
Industries with the highest published employment for this occupation are:
|Industry||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Other Specialty Trade Contractors||89,790||$24.15||$50,220|
|Utility System Construction||48,800||$25.59||$53,220|
|Local Government (OES Designation)||48,370||$21.17||$44,030|
|Highway, Street, and Bridge Construction||43,470||$27.27||$56,710|
|State Government (OES Designation)||16,960||$19.39||$40,340|
Statistics reported in May 2016
This major is subject to the transfer standards established by the College. Exceptions must be approved by the school dean.
Tools, Uniforms & Supplies
You are expected to purchase your own tools which can be purchased at the College Store or through a dealer such as Sears or Snap-on. The advantage to purchasing your own tools is that the tools are yours to use during your time as a student and later as an employee. Larger specialty tools such as those used in diagnostics and testing are purchased by the College or donated by the Caterpillar dealer program for use by all students enrolled in the program.
Uniform (required for all labs)
- Leather work shoes or boots
- Yellow hard hat
- Safety glasses
Uniforms and tools are available for purchase through The College Store.
Clubs & Activities
Service and Operation of Heavy Equipment Association (S&O)
Heavy Construction Equipment Operator Emphasis Advisory Committee
- Mr. Ben Brubacher, President, Brubacher Excavating, Inc.
- Mr. Robert Capps, Director, Field Recruiting, Retention & Career Development, American Infrastructure, Inc.
- Bradley J Cober, Jr., General Superintendent, Brubacher Excavating, Inc.
- Mr. Guy Fairchild, President, Fairchild Brothers, Inc.
- Mr. Bryan E Frey, General Superintendent, Glenn O. Hawbaker, Inc.
- Mr. Kevin Fritzinger, Equipment Manager, Independence Construction Materials
- Mr. Michael Hohl, General Manager/Owner, Lyons & Hohl, Inc.
- Mr. Mark E Keller, Project Superintendent, Glenn O. Hawbaker, Inc.
- Mr. Jeffrey D Lawson, Sr., Superintendent, Lycoming Supply, Inc.
- Mr. Duane R Laylon, Purchasing Agent, Resource Management Services
- Mr. Max Persun, Operations Supervisor, Wayne Township Landfill
- Mr. Jason F Ritchey, Technology Solutions Manager, Cleveland Bros. - SITECH Allegheny
- Mr. Jeffrey Wiker, Vice President of Operations, H. L. Wiker Inc.
Advisory committees, which act as recommending bodies to the faculty and administration, consist of in-field professionals who act as partners in the development of curriculum. Their curricular and equipment advice as well as their industry connections and internship opportunities are invaluable to our students and to the growth of our institution.
Schedule a tour
Meet with Admissions, tour the labs of your intended major, explore campus, and more during an Academic School Tour.
Saturday, February 24
Saturday, February 24
Thursday, March 15
Saturday, April 7
Saturday, April 7
Thursday, April 19