This series of courses prepares the student to install and evaluate aftermarket performance equipment and modifications that will safely improve drivability and driver satisfaction of late model street-legal vehicles. Students use diagnostic test equipment to determine performance enhancement, suitability, and compatibility with existing OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) mechanical/electrical and electronic controls.
About the curriculum
View the classes you will be attending in the College Catalog.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for automotive service technicians and mechanics was $40,710 in May 2018. The top 10 percent earned more than $66,950.
Industries with the highest published employment for this occupation are:
|Industry||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Automotive Repair and Maintenance||230,100||$19.78||$41,140|
|Automotive Parts, Accessories, and Tire Stores||63,800||$18.42||$38,320|
|Local Government, excluding schools and hospitals (OES Designation)||15,860||$25.40||$52,820|
Statistics reported in May 2018
- A competency credential must be completed within three years of enrollment in the credential.
- Non-traditional credit such as credit-by-exam, work/life experience, and transfer credit is limited to one third of the total credits in the credential. Two thirds of the requirements must be completed by course enrollment.
- Students must earn a grade of C or better in each course to merit the credential.
Clubs & Activities
Penn College Motorsports Association
Automotive Advisory Committee
- Mr. Tom Barnes, Manager, Steve Shannon Tire and Auto Centers, Inc.
- Mr. Michael Bastian, Owner, Bastian Tire Sales
- Mr. Christopher B Brown, Hyundai Service Manager, Jack Giambalvo Motor Co., Inc.
- Mr. Caleb Cartmell, '16, '18, Automotive Service Advisor, Steve Moyer Subaru
- Mr. Steve Kaiser Jr., General Manager, Fairfield Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram
- Mr. Beau Keyte, '00, Owner, K-Tech Automotive
- Mr. Andrew Leigey, '01, '05, Automotive Instructor, Williamsport Area High School
- Mr. David K Plessinger, '78, Owner, Economy Auto Parts
- Mr. Nick Rieber, '08, '10, Assistant Service Manager, The Faulkner Organization
- Mr. Philip Rizzo, Operations Director, Blaise Alexander Management Company
- Mr. Alan Wyland, Owner, Dave's Service Center
Advisory committees, which act as recommending bodies to the faculty and administration, consist of in-field professionals who act as partners in the development of curriculum. Their curricular and equipment advice as well as their industry connections and internship opportunities are invaluable to our students and to the growth of our institution.