This associate's degree in Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning Technology provides knowledge and training in:
- air conditioning
- hydronic heating
- temperature and humidity control
- air circulation
- duct and pipe system design and layout
- ventilating equipment
- automatic controls
- commercial refrigeration layout and installation
- piping practices
Students learn to install and repair equipment in the lab segments of the major. The combination of lab practice and theory prepares students for employment and advancement in today's heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) and commercial refrigeration industry.
Upon completion of the associate's degree, students may pursue a bachelor's degree in Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning Design Technology, or Building Automation Technology. Students may also complete the Applied Management degree, available via distance learning or on the Penn College campus.
Graduates have a diverse set of skills and abilities that could prepare them for "green" careers focused on energy, renewable energy, and the environment. Read more...
About the curriculum
View the classes you will be attending in the College Catalog.
Accreditation & Industry Connections
Partnership for Air-Conditioning, Heating, Refrigeration Accreditation (PAHRA).
Refrigeration and air conditioning, heating (HVAC) equipment mechanic, estimator, sales representative, air conditioning technician, industrial physical plant maintenance, and environmental control specialist.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration mechanics and installers was $45,910 in May 2016. The top 10 percent earned more than $73,350.
Industries with the highest published employment for this occupation are:
|Industry||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Building Equipment Contractors||212,810||$22.72||$47,250|
|Direct Selling Establishments||9,410||$23.61||$49,100|
|Hardware, and Plumbing and Heating Equipment and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers||8,070||$24.90||$51,790|
|Commercial and Industrial Machinery and Equipment (except Automotive and Electronic) Repair and Maintenance||6,170||$23.90||$49,710|
|Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools||5,620||$24.71||$51,400|
Statistics reported in May 2016
This major is subject to the transfer standards established in the College Catalog (www.pct.edu/catalog/TransferringCredits.htm). Exceptions must be approved by the school dean.
Tools, Uniforms & Supplies
Uniforms and tools are available for purchase through The College Store.
Clubs & Activities
Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA)
American Society of Heating, Refrigerating & Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
HVAC Technology Advisory Committee
- Mr. S. Curtis Bierly, Jr., President, The Bierly Group, Inc.
- Mr. Darin Bressler, Facilities Supervisor, Bldg. Services, HVAC/Refrigeration, PSU
- Mr. Paul Burd, Manager of Refrigeration & Store Service, Weis Markets, Inc.
- Adrian E Hales, Branch Manager, Makdad Industrial Supply
- Mr. Jeremy Hazlak, Energy Projects Manager, Weis Market, Inc.
- Mr. Michael D Jackson, Interim Supervisor HVAC & Controls, Penn State University
- Mr. Michael Kelleher
- Mr. Daren Lewis, Facilities Supervisor, The Pennsylvania State University
- Mr. Brandon M Marshall, Applications Engineer, Carel USA LLC
- Mr. Christopher McNally, Service Branch Manager, Johnson Controls, Inc.
- Mr. Gregory J Miller, Project Manager, Southland Industries
- Mr. Daniel E Ogden, retired
- Mike Snyder, HB McClure
- Aaron A Weaver, Northeast Regional Sales Manager, Raypak
- Bradley Willis, Project Engineer, Johnson Controls
Advisory committees, which act as recommending bodies to the faculty and administration, consist of in-field professionals who act as partners in the development of curriculum. Their curricular and equipment advice as well as their industry connections and internship opportunities are invaluable to our students and to the growth of our institution.
Schedule a tour
Meet with Admissions, tour the labs of your intended major, explore campus, and more during an Academic School Tour.
Saturday, February 24
Friday, March 16
Saturday, April 7
Friday, April 20