The competency credential in Professional Cooking provides students with the basic food preparation skills required to be both imminently and immediately employable and trainable within the culinary industry.
About the curriculum
View the classes you will be attending in the College Catalog.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for cooks, restaurant was $24,140 in May 2016. The top 10 percent earned more than $35,090.
Industries with the highest published employment for this occupation are:
|Industry||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Restaurants and Other Eating Places||1,039,630||$12.00||$24,960|
|Other Amusement and Recreation Industries||23,950||$13.26||$27,590|
|Drinking Places (Alcoholic Beverages)||20,260||$11.91||$24,770|
|Special Food Services||20,070||$13.44||$27,950|
Statistics reported in May 2016
Read more about the required internship.
Tools, Uniforms & Supplies
Tool List & Uniform Policy
Uniforms and tools are available for purchase through The College Store.
Clubs & Activities
American Culinary Federation
Penn College Diners' Club
Student Government Association (SGA)
Hospitality Advisory Committee
- Ms. Patricia Clark Paulhamus, Assistant Director Nutritional Services, Evangelical Community Hospital
- Ms. Diana G Cox, District Manager, Sodexo Senior Services
- Mr. Francis A Daniele, Chef/Owner, Joanna's Italian Bakery
- Mr. Michael R Davis, CEC, Culinary Director, Susquehanna Health - Aramark
- Ms. Diane L Dorner, District Supervisor, Carrols Corporation
- Mr. Robert Engle, Jr., Owner/Operator, Catherman's Home Made Candy & Extraordinary Cakes & Pastries, LLC
- Mr. James M Fry
- Mr. Paul Geisz, Owner, Village Tavern Restaurant & Inn
- Ms. Carla Kline, Certified Dietary Manager
- Mr. Thomas A Kowalcyk, Executive Chef, Toftrees Hotel and Golf Resort
- Ms. Samantha Liedtka-Gundlach, Owner, Samantha's Kitchen
- Mr. George Logue, III, Co-owner/Chef, Herman & Luther's
- Ms. Heather Luse, Executive Pastry Chef, Pennsylvania State University
- Mr. Kevin Nash
- Mr. Kristan T Patterson, Chief Artisan Baker, Penn State University Bakery
- Mr. Charles L Persun, Sous Chef, Wegmans
- Mr. James W Purdum, CHA, Retired (PSU)
Advisory committees, which act as recommending bodies to the faculty and administration, consist of in-field professionals who act as partners in the development of curriculum. Their curricular and equipment advice as well as their industry connections and internship opportunities are invaluable to our students and to the growth of our institution.
Schedule a tour
Meet with Admissions, tour the labs of your intended major, explore campus, and more during an Academic School Tour.
Saturday, February 24
Wednesday, March 14
Saturday, April 7
Wednesday, April 25