The competency credential in Professional Baking provides students with basic skills in baking and pastry arts.
About the curriculum
View the classes you will be attending in the College Catalog.
Accreditation & Industry Connections
Certified Pastry Culinarian
Students who complete the program and maintain an active Junior Membership in the local A.C.F. Chapter are eligible to become Certified Pastry Culinarians.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for bakers was $25,690 in May 2017. The top 10 percent earned more than $39,830.
Industries with the highest published employment for this occupation are:
|Industry||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Bakeries and Tortilla Manufacturing||54,670||$13.60||$28,290|
|Food and Beverage Stores (4451 and 4452 only)||48,460||$13.03||$27,100|
|Restaurants and Other Eating Places||38,280||$12.90||$26,840|
|General Merchandise Stores||21,170||$13.76||$28,610|
Statistics reported in May 2017
Read more about the required internship.
Tools, Uniforms & Supplies
Tool List & Uniform Policy
Uniforms and tools are available for purchase through The College Store.
Clubs & Activities
American Culinary Federation
Penn College Diners' Club
Student Government Association (SGA)
Hospitality Advisory Committee
- Mr. Daniel R Dalton, Three Rivers Program Manager, Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture
- Mr. Francis A Daniele, Chef/Owner, Joanna's Italian Bakery
- Ms. Diane L Dorner, '79, District Supervisor, Carrols Corporation
- Mr. James M Fry
- Mr. Drew Kendall, Chef, Wegmans
- Mr. Chris Kowalewski, Chief Growth Officer & Senior VP of Sales, Compass Group North America
- Ms. Samantha Liedtka-Gundlach, '10, Owner, Samantha's Kitchen
- Mr. George Logue, III, '10, Co-owner/Chef, Herman & Luther's
- Ms. Erin Oggier, Food and Beverage Manager & Event Coordinator, Lancaster Country Club
- Mr. Kristan T Patterson, Chief Artisan Baker, Penn State University Bakery
- Mr. Gary R Rice, President/Owner, Rice's Food Equipment & Consulting, Inc.
Advisory committees, which act as recommending bodies to the faculty and administration, consist of in-field professionals who act as partners in the development of curriculum. Their curricular and equipment advice as well as their industry connections and internship opportunities are invaluable to our students and to the growth of our institution.