Penn College will grant you a retest if we believe there is a reason to retest you. You may request a retest if you meet one of the criterion explained below.
Professional Remediation and Retest
To be approved for a retest, we require that you work with a professional who can assess your skill level and provide you with the materials, instruction, and guidance that you need to strengthen your skills. You may choose to remediate by doing one of the following:
- work with a private tutor (teacher or other professional)
- attend a learning center
- take adult education courses (or other noncredit courses)
- participate in other programs designed to build skills in your deficient area (such as Penn College's Math Skills Development Program)
This option works well for those who have experience with the subject area but need to refresh their skills. It is not recommended for students with little or no background in the deficient area.
Retest due to Extenuating Circumstances
In rare instances, a retest may be approved due to an extenuating circumstance such as a serious illness, injury, medication reaction, or other significant event that negatively impacted your performance on test day. To be approved for a retest, you should explain the extenuating circumstances in detail. Requests will be denied without ample justification.
Accommodations for testing are available for students who meet qualifications. If you did not request accommodations but believe you might be eligible, please see Testing Accommodations. Remediation is not required for this category but sometimes recommended.
- Retest requests are not granted automatically. Your request must meet one of the criterion described above in order to be approved.
- You may request a retest in up to two* subject areas.
- Give yourself plenty of time to prepare. You may retake a placement test one time only.
* If you will be retesting with accommodations, you will work with the Disability Services Office to determine the number of subject areas in which you are eligible to retest.
Accessing the Retest Request Form
If you believe that retesting is a good choice for you, complete and submit the Retest Request Form. Submit the form after you have chosen a method of remediation. Access the form by doing the following:
- Login to SIS.
- Select “Admissions Information” on the left.
- Select “Placement Test Results” and click on “Retest Request Form” at the bottom of the page.