Hager Lifelong Education Center
Constructed in 1984
The Hager Lifelong Education Center is dedicated in honor of a former state legislator, who was a strong supporter of the institution when it was a community college.
Following an extensive renovation, the Hager Lifelong Education Center was rededicated in 2010.
Henry G. Hager
Henry G. Hager served as President pro tempore of the Pennsylvania Senate from 1981-84. He represented the 23rd District in the state senate from 1973-84. Born in Williamsport, Hager was the county's district attorney from 1964-68. He was succeeded in the senate by Roger A. Madigan, in whose name the College dedicated the Madigan Library.
A Stroll Down Susquehanna Street
Now a pedestrian walkway, the land just west of the Lifelong Education Center once allowed vehicles travel south toward the river on Susquehanna Street; the street now ends at West Third Street, near the Avco-Lycoming Metal Trades Center.
Many factories, warehouses, and businesses operated along Susquehanna Street before it became part of the campus and was closed to traffic.
Local legend suggests that, in 1923, Babe Ruth hit a baseball over a chair that sat on top of the Culler factory, a furniture company that once was located in this area.
Inside the Lifelong Education Center (LEC)
Dunham Children's Learning Center
Architectural technology lab
For many years, this area behind the gymnasium was the former high school football field.
Williamsport Area Community College's radio station, WWAS, and Penn College's radio station, WPTC, operated and transmitted from the Lifelong Education Center.
In 2010, Dr. Robert E. Dunham, Chairman of the College Board of Directors, led a rededication ceremony following an extensive renovation.