Klump Academic Center
Constructed in 1914, wing added in 1934
The Klump Academic Center is the most historic landmark still in use on campus. The building opened in 1914 as Williamsport High School.
Adult vocational classes, held in the high school basement, led to the development of Williamsport Technical Institute (1941), Williamsport Area Community College (1965), and Pennsylvania College of Technology (1989).
George S. Klump
Dr. George S. Klump was a physician, who served as chairman of the Medical Society of the State of Pennsylvania. A widely respected community leader in Williamsport, Dr. Klump served as a member of the Board of Trustees of Williamsport Area Community College.
Center of Celebrations
Throughout its history, the Academic Center has been a center of academic life in Williamsport. It was reported that when the building opened – as a high school – in 1914, 15,000 people attended a three- day celebration.
In addition to its vast array of classrooms, the center is home to a beautifully restored auditorium, which hosts both college and community events.
Inside the Academic Center (ACC)
EMS lab in basement
Academic Success Center
Postcard depicts former Williamsport High School.
Frederick C. Wagner, shown here as a young drafting student in 1929, became an architect who helped to plan the first renovation of the Klump Academic Center in the 1930s.
Various instructional programs were offered here.
Following an extensive renovation, the Klump Academic Center was rededicated in 2004.
During a rededication ceremony, a time capsule containing items of historical interest was placed in the northeast corner of the first floor.