Sciences, Humanities & Visual Communications
Mathematics Department Mission, Vision & Goals
To assist students in acquiring a conceptual understanding of the nature and structure of mathematics, its processes, and applications.
To provide mathematical experiences, exploring and learning opportunities, and relevant applications in the study and understanding of quantities by examining relationships, patterns and structures, operations, and measurements, as expressed by numbers and symbols. To provide quality mathematics coursework which supports and enhances all programs at Pennsylvania College of Technology.
Enable students with diverse academic, technical, and personal mathematical backgrounds to:
- Apply critical and logical thinking to problem solving;
- Apply and adapt a variety of appropriate strategies, including technology, to investigate mathematical conjectures, to solve problems, and to judge the reasonableness of the results;
- Use mathematical models to represent and understand quantitative relationships;
- Recognize and apply mathematics in contexts outside of mathematics to interpret physical and social phenomena;
- Use the language and symbols of mathematics to express mathematical ideas precisely;
- Understand the role of mathematics in society;
- Organize and consolidate mathematical thinking through written and oral communication;
- Develop a relevant knowledge base in preparation for additional learning experiences in mathematics while enhancing their mathematical intuition;
- Build individual confidence in their abilities to understand and apply mathematics.
The Department of Mathematics, part of the School of Sciences, Humanities & Visual Communications, continuously revises its offerings to keep up with the ever-changing demands of program areas and advances in technology.