Be part of a growing tradition at Penn College! Started in 2010, learning communities center around an academic theme area. Each community is designed to give students in the same major opportunities to expand their knowledge outside the classroom. A dedicated group of faculty and staff are teaming together to bring engaging, outside the classroom opportunities centered around their academic interests and career goals.
Communities Offered to First-year Students
- Automotive – open to students in automotive related majors
- Health Sciences – open to students in health related majors
- Hospitality – open to students in hospitality related majors
- Information Technology – open to students in information technology related majors
Housing & Expectations
Each learning community is in Rose Street Commons, Dauphin Hall.* If you choose to participate in a learning community, you can expect:
- Special programs related to your major
- Strong links between your life in the residence halls and your coursework in the classroom
- An environment centered on your success as a student and member of the Penn College community
Apply for a Learning Community
Log in to the Student Information System (SIS) then select On-Campus Housing Application/Contract from the Housing Information menu. If the application for Living-Learning Communities is available, you will see it listed as a contract option. New students who have been assigned to on-campus housing will be notified when the application becomes available.
Students must complete a Living-Learning Community Application on the SIS to be considered. Space is limited in each community; not all applicants will be accepted. Applications must be submitted by May 30, 2014.
NOTE: If you have requested specific people to be roommates and the people you have requested to be your roommates have not applied to be part of the same Living-Learning Community, your assignment to the Living-Learning Community will take precedent over your particular roommate requests.
If you have any questions regarding the learning communities or how to apply, feel free to contact the Residence Life Office at 570-320-8023, 800-367-9222, or firstname.lastname@example.org.