Madigan Library: 7:30 a.m.-1 a.m. | Reference Desk: 11 a.m.-10 p.m.
All Penn College students, faculty, staff, and library members may borrow resources from Madigan Library by presenting a valid College ID card or a member card along with photo ID at the Main Circulation Desk. For specialized information about borrowing please select the group that best describes you.
Alumni, retirees, and board members, as well as spouses and dependent children (between the ages of 18 and 26) of current Pennsylvania College of Technology students, faculty, and staff may become members of the library at no cost. Current faculty, staff, and students of other affiliated academic institutions may also become members of the Madigan Library at no cost.
High school students age 15 and older may also become members for a fee of $5. If the student's parent or guardian is already a member or a current employee or student of Penn College, there is no fee. Individuals who are residents of Pennsylvania and are 18 years or older may also become members of the Madigan Library for an annual fee of $25.
For anyone interested in becoming a member of the Madigan Library, please complete the online Membership Application.
Most items may be renewed once by borrowers provided no other user has requested the item. Most reserve items may not be renewed. Renewals may be made by phone, in person, or by going to the library catalog online (log in to the e-Library OPAC and choose the My Account link at the top of the page).
Renewed items are subject to recall at any time. Penn College faculty, students, and staff may recall items checked out to a member borrower. Items needed for the Reserves Desk may be recalled immediately.
Overdue, Lost, or Damaged Resources/Equipment
Overdue notices are sent via e-mail once items become overdue. Borrower privileges are suspended for users with overdue items, fines, or fees until all material is returned and fines and replacement costs are paid. A replacement cost plus processing fee must be paid for lost or damaged resources or equipment. Holds are placed on student grades at the end of the semester if there are overdue items or unpaid fines or fees. If you have a question regarding a fine or grade hold contact the Library Circulation Desk, or call 570-320-2400, ext. 7815.
If assistance is needed with periodicals or microfilm, go to the Main Circulation Desk or the Circulation Desk located at the College Avenue entrance. There is no charge for printing copies of microfilmed resources. Brochures are available with instructions on use. Copy services are limited to those permitted under Copyright Law.
Located at the Main Circulation Desk in Madigan Library, costs are as follow:
- To send - $2.00 for the first page; $1.00 for each additional page.
- To receive - $1.00 for every five pages. The librarys' fax number is (570) 320-2407
Madigan Library relies on the fair use provisions of Title 17 of the United States Code. Section 107 of the Copyright Act states that fair use of copyrighted materials for teaching, scholarship, and research is permitted. There are four factors to consider in determining fair use:
- The purpose and character of the work
- The nature of the copyrighted work
- The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
- The effect of the use upon the potential market of the copyrighted work
Additional information about copyright can be found on the Copyright and Fair Use portal site.
All copyrighted material will require full citation information for processing for reserves. Copyrighted material placed on reserve must contain a copyright notice regarding further copying. In cases where copyright permission is not available, alternatives will be offered to the instructor whenever possible. In addition, access to copyrighted material is restricted by providing password protection for electronic reserve material. Materials will be made available in both print format and electronically in accordance with current copyright laws.
Circulating resources may be returned at the Main Circulation Desk, the College Avenue Circulation Desk, the book drop outside the College Avenue entrance, or the book drop inside the ACC building. Media materials must be returned to one of the circulation services desks or they may be dropped off at the book drop inside the ACC building. Do not return media materials in the outside book return. The resulting damage caused to the materials will result in a replacement fee.
Items Available on Reserve
- Mouse and powercords
- Computer speakers
- TI-83 calculators
- TI-84 calculators
- Portable DVD players
- Digital cameras
- Digital camcorders
- VGA cables
- Stereo cables
- Ethernet cables
- Portable CD players
- Digital voice recorders
- Camera tripods
- Military CAC readers (military personnel can utilize their ID card and PIN that they were issued in basic training to get orders and/or check e-mail on Reference computers.)
- MP3 players
- Drafting tables (Alvin 20" x 26" Parallel Straightedge Drafting Boards)
- Magnifying lens
- 18-inch ruler
Assistive Technology Equipment on Reserve
- Laptops with assistive technology, including JAWS, ZoomText, Dragon Naturally-Speaking, Kurzweil 3000 (One laptop is located at the ESC branch library)
- Keyboard and mouse gel wrist supports
- Track ball mouse
- Headset with audio and mic switch (for use with assistive technology laptops only)
- Remote for Topaz Magnifier (located in LIB114)
- Remote for Sorenson Video Relay (located in LIB114)
Computers and Other Equipment
- More than 100 computers in two computer labs
- Wireless laptops for in-library student use (include Microsoft Officeģ and Internet access)
- Black and white copiers (10 cents per copy)ólocated on the first and second floors
- Black and white and color printersólocated on the first and second floors
- Fax machine (incoming faxes will be discarded if not claimed within 30 days)ólocated at the Main Circulation Desk
- Desktop scannersólocated on the first and second floors
Questions or Comments
Library, Circulation Services
- 570-320-2400, ext. 7815