- What is Marcellus Shale?
- Natural Gas Technician Education Partnership
- Resources and Research
Curriculum: Shale Gas
Lesson Planning Guides
- Origins of Marcellus Shale Gas in Pennsylvania, Science Teacher Series, Grade 9-11
Understand the development of Marcellus Shale and the formation of gas/fossil fuels within the Marcellus Shale formation.
- Exploring the Impact of Marcellus Shale Gas on Welding and Related Occupations / Technical Teacher Series, Grade 11
Change impacts career options and choices. How do changes in the world affect my career options and choices? Identify and describe the welding occupations that are directly and indirectly related to extracting gas from the Marcellus Shale deposits, the training requirements for them and the personal characteristics that are required to be successful in each.
- Exploring Occupations for Electronics Technicians in the Natural Gas Industry/Technical Teacher Series Grades 7-9
Is a career as an electronics technician a good choice for me? Explore occupations for electronics technicians in the natural gas industry.
Geological Survey, PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
- The Process of Natural Gas Extraction from the Marcellus Shale
Provides an overview of the processes used to explore, develop, and produce natural gas from shale gas reservoirs such as the Marcellus Shale.
- Classroom Resources: Geological Survey, Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
The rich natural history, abundant mineral resources, and varied landscape of Pennsylvania create an awesome geoscience classroom waiting to be explored. The resources provided here will help students to observe and interpret the science that is all around them and to use nature's clues to understand the history of the earth.
- Understanding the Basics of Gas Exploration and Production
Power Point Presentation to aid in understanding gas exploration and production and to learn about some of the career opportunities created by the industry.
Other Curriculum on Marcellus Shale
- Explore Shale: Penn State Public Broadcasting
Exploreshale.org enhances public understanding of the basic science surrounding the Marcellus Shale by providing a fact-based interactive learning experience. Exploreshale.org is a public service media project by Penn State Public Broadcasting and was funded by the Colcom Foundation. This website includes educator resources.
- Elementary, middle and high school lesson plans and resource guide, EFMR Monitoring, Inc.
Curriculum on topics of natural gas, coal, nuclear power, solar and wind energies.
Curriculum: Natural Gas and Oil
- An Educational Roadmap of Natural Gas and Crude Oil, Ohio Oil and Gas Energy Education Program
This roadmap of natural gas and crude oil includes videos, classroom experiments, career connections, downloadable curriculum, resources, links and more.
- National Education Energy Development (NEED)
Free curriculum materials K-12 on energy topics, oil and gas exploration and other energy sources. Provides hands-on laboratory activities and materials for teachers. Materials can be downloaded from their site at no cost.
Energy Education Projects in the States
- Classroom Energy Education Projects: Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission
The IOGCC continues to serve its 30 member and eight associate member states through the application, development and implementation of federally funded grant projects designed to meet the unique needs of individual states and regions. Projects are designed to support the IOGCC's mission of promoting the conservation and efficient recovery of domestic oil and natural gas resources while protecting health, safety, and the environment.
- EIA Energy Kids
US. Energy Information Agency Administration K-12 teacher and student materials addressing a broad range of energy fundamentals. Included in the materials are units on "What is Energy?", "Energy Sources"' "Using & Saving Energy", "History of Energy", and "Games and Activities."
Short-term training opportunities and Industry Overview
- ShaleNET - The Coalition provides a comprehensive recruitment, training, placement and retention program for high priority occupations in the natural gas drilling and production industry. An overview of shale gas basics and realistic job previews are provided.
- Junior Achievement's Careers in Energy Program is available. Target grade level is 8th or 9th grade. Contact Junior Achievement for more information.
Partial support for this work was provided by the National Science Foundation's Advanced Technological Education (ATE) program under Award No. 1003435. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.