The Gallery at Penn College
The Gallery at Penn College strives to be an important instructional resource for students and a cultural asset to Pennsylvania College of Technology and local communities. The Gallery is dedicated to promoting art appreciation and understanding through its exhibitions of traditional and contemporary art in a variety of media. The Gallery is located on the 3rd floor of the Madigan Library, which was constructed in 2006. Pennsylvania College of Technology is a special mission affiliate of Penn State, committed to applied technology education. For more information on Penn College, visit the fast facts web page.
- The Gallery at Penn College maintains a year-round schedule of solo and group exhibitions, gallery talks, and other events. National and international artists working in a variety of media are juried and selected by a committee of dedicated faculty, staff, and community members.
- Exhibitions are scheduled 1 - 2 years in advance. Entries are reviewed beginning September 1 and continuing until all slots are filled. The exhibition season runs July - June.
- Exhibitions are scheduled for approximately 4 - 5 weeks. The Gallery also schedules exhibits for other display areas across campus, including both indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Artists are invited to attend the opening reception and deliver a gallery talk.
- Occasionally, artists are invited to conduct a workshop for students and/or the public. If you wish to submit a proposal for a workshop, please indicate this on your entry form.
- All media and styles are considered, as well as proposals by curators.
To be considered for an exhibition, artists must apply via mail:
- Submit a completed entry form.
- Include a CD or DVD containing 15 - 30 images of current, original work for review.
- Images must be representative of the type of work that will be included for exhibition. Please include a list of images.
- Recommended resolution for a 4" x 6" image is 300 dpi in JPEG file format only.
- Include a resume and artist's statement on CD/DVD.
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope if you would like your materials returned
E-mail entries will not be accepted - artist's must submit via mail.
Entries are juried each Fall, and artist's are generally notified by January.
The Gallery at Penn College is approximately 3,000 square feet. Linear wall space can range from 82 - 250 running feet. The Gallery contains 82 feet of permanent linear wall space at a height of 11' 4"; the walls are 3/4" plywood, covered with 1/2" drywall. Additional linear wall space is created through the use of modular wall units measuring 4' wide by 8' high; the units are 3/4" birch plywood. These can be assembled to create 8', 12', or 16' lengths. The sizes of the other exhibition spaces across campus vary, but are suitable for installations and large sculpture.
- A shipping stipend of up to $300 will be paid for one-way transportation of the artwork (i.e., for the costs of either transportation of the artwork to the College or from the College) upon submission of qualified recipients.
- Overnight lodging will be provided for artists who attend the opening reception. At least one meal (lunch or dinner) is generally included.
- An honorarium is offered to artists who deliver a gallery talk at the opening reception.
- All works will be insured against theft and damage while on exhibit in the Gallery.
- Promotional support as follows:
- Promotion in the annual gallery catalog
- Press-releases and exhibition announcements
- Postcards for artist
- Announcements on the Gallery and College web sites
- Gallery staff are available to assist artists in unloading and loading artwork. The building has a raised loading dock and freight elevator; an exhibition preparation room is connected to the gallery. Gallery staff will install all exhibits, except in the case of installations that require the artist. Include any specific installation needs or requirements with your entry.
- The Gallery reserves the right to reject works that have been inaccurately represented in the original entry. Works must be received ready for installation: work must be framed, matted, wired, etc. The Gallery reserves the right to reject works for exhibition that are not original, are deemed extraordinarily fragile or unstable, or are not installation ready.
- Reproduction Rights: Penn College reserves the right to reproduce any work accepted for exhibition for promotional purposes. The Gallery assumes the right to photograph works for publicity or catalog purposes.
- Sales: Potential buyers will be referred directly to the artist. No commission will be charged on works sold. Work must remain in the Gallery until the end of the exhibition.
- Artists must be 18 years of age or older.