Veterans and Financial Aid

Military Friendly SchoolVeterans Education Benefits are available to eligible students who have served in the military, are on active duty, or are enlisted in the Reserves or National Guard. Also, students who are dependents of a veteran who was 100% disabled or died because of service are eligible to apply.

Veterans Education Benefits are considered ' gift aid' because the money received generally does not need to be paid back. Eligibility is determined by many factors, so we encourage you to determine if you do qualify for benefits.

Veterans Education Benefits include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Post-911 GI Bill – Chapter 33
  • Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB-AD) – Chapter 30
  • Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment VetSuccess (VR&E) – Chapter 31
  • Montgomery GI Bill – Selective Reserve (MGIB-SR) – Chapter 1606
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) – Chapter 1607
  • Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) – Affiliate School
  • PA National Guard Assistance Program.
  • Federal Tuition Assistance Program
  • Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA) – Chapter 35
  • Licensing and Certification Test Reimbursement
  • Course Scheduling Preference, in accordance with Act 46 of 2014 – See College Policy 4.57

We are here to help!

The Veterans Affairs Specialist in the Financial Aid Office along with the Admissions Office are here to help you through this exciting process.

The Veterans Affairs Specialist offers free assistance in submitting applications for Veterans Affairs (VA) Educational Benefits. The Specialist and VA Work-Study students will guide you through the process of applying for and obtaining veterans benefits. The Admissions Office can discuss available majors, transfer of credit, and admission requirements.

Ready to start?

  • Complete Penn College's Application for Admission, which includes our Financial Aid Application (FAA).
    • If you process your veteran documentation with the Veterans Affairs Specialist he (or his delegate) will provide a waiver for the fee prior to you submitting your Admissions Application. Note that no refund of the application fee or deposits will be given if you first apply for Admissions and afterwards contact the Veterans Affairs Specialist.
  • After your application is processed, the Admissions Office will send you a letter advising you when to take placement testing (if required).
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible, if you have not already done so. This is very important and can be done before you apply to Penn College. You must complete and submit your FAFSA to be considered for grants and federal loans along with any other financial aid available to veterans. Be sure to answer all questions pertaining to your veteran status and veterans education benefits.

Prior Learning Assessment

If you have completed advanced courses or educational experiences as part of military training, you may be eligible for advanced credit through transcript evaluation, testing, and/or competency assessment.

If you have previous college credits that you wish to transfer, ensure that your official transcripts are forwarded to Penn College’s Admissions Office for evaluation toward your degree.

To translate military service into college credit, a Joint Services Transcript (JST) or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript is required. If you have completed military basic training, you may receive a fitness elective credit by submitting a JST. Please note that not all military experience can be translated into college credits.

Contact the Veterans Affairs Specialist if you need any assistance in obtaining your military transcripts.

Penn College Guidelines for Determining Military Affiliations

To be considered for and qualify for benefits awarded by Penn College, a person must be in one of the following military affiliations:

Active duty

An active duty military affiliation is reserved for any military member who is currently in an active duty or drilling reservist status in any branch of the uniformed services. A valid military-issued identification card is required for us to verify active duty status.


A Veteran military affiliation is reserved for any person who has served in any status with a branch of the uniformed services and:

  • Has received a DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty
  • The character of service narrative in block 24 of a DD 214 must be Honorable, General Under Honorable Conditions, or General Conditions
  • Note that we require a "member 4" or "long form" copy to verify Veteran status

Clarification on other character of service narratives can be obtained by contacting the Veterans Affairs Specialist at Penn College.


Penn College Resources

External Resources

Pennsylvania College of Technology
One College Avenue
Williamsport, PA 17701


© 1995 Pennsylvania College of Technology. Penn College® and degrees that work® are registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.