Frequently Asked Questions about Federal Work-Study

What is Federal Work-Study?

The Federal Work-Study program is one type of financial aid available to eligible Penn College students. The program will provide you with the opportunity to work and earn money to help pay for educational expenses.

How do I qualify for the Federal Work-Study Program?

You must be financially eligible for the program based on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) information. You must also complete Penn College's Financial Aid Application (FAA) and indicate on it that you are interested in the Federal Work-Study program.

If I am eligible for Federal Work-Study, how will I be notified?

Eligible students will receive a work-study award notification via e-mail. Students are required to accept or reject the award notification by responding to that email. If you are new to the Federal Work-Study program, you are required to attend an Orientation session at the start of the semester.

I have been approved for Federal Work-Study. What kind of jobs are available?

There are many jobs available and you may be able to choose one which is in your program of study. You will be provided with a listing of all the jobs, supervisors to contact and the locations where you may work. It is up to you to find a job which fits your academic schedule but should you have any difficulty, the Financial Aid Office will assist you.

Since it is called "work-study" can I study on the job?

You will not be able to study while on the job. Work-study is just like having a regular part-time job in that the supervisor that hires you will expect you to perform your duties in a satisfactory manner.

What if I do not feel like going to my work-study job?

Once you and your supervisor have agreed to a work schedule, it is up to you to adhere to it. If you cannot come in to work, you are expected to call your supervisor to report your absence. Your supervisor will rely on you so if you are repeatedly late or absent, your supervisor has the authority to fire you.

How do I get paid?

You will be paid every two weeks at the current Pennsylvania minimum wage of $7.25 an hour. You will be required to complete a direct deposit form in order to have your earnings deposited into your checking or savings account, or credited to your PCT OneCard.

If I decline Federal Work-Study, can I be re-considered for a job later in the semester?

If you initially refuse your work-study award, you will need to wait until the following semester to be re-considered. Whether you are able to work at that time will depend on available funding and position openings.

Are there other employment opportunities for me if I am not eligible for Federal Work-Study?

Yes. Two other opportunities to consider are the Earn & Learn Program and part-time Penn College positions.

Will my work-study award be deducted from my student eBill?

No. Federal Work-Study is not deducted from your eBill, because you get paid for the hours that you actually work.

How many hours can I work each week?

You can work a maximum of twelve (12) hours per week during the fall and spring semesters.

Is Federal Work-Study available during the summer?

Limited Federal Work-Study positions are available during the summer. If you are interested and eligible, please contact us.

Pennsylvania College of Technology
One College Avenue
Williamsport, PA 17701


© 1995 Pennsylvania College of Technology. Penn College® and degrees that work® are registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.