Renewable Energy Technologies (RE)
(Effective Fall 2013)
- School of Industrial, Computing & Engineering Technologies
- Associate of Applied Science Degree (A.A.S.)
- Green major
- More Information about Renewable Energy Technologies
This curriculum prepares students for jobs in industry as renewable energy technicians. Students develop the practical skills needed to install, troubleshoot, and maintain photovoltaic, wind turbine, and solar thermal systems. The course work includes theory and lab practice in energy fundamentals, sustainability, construction practices, electrical currents and wiring, mechanical piping, drawings, codes, and process controls. A strong background in math, science and technical writing increases students' career opportunities. Graduates will also have the background needed to transfer to a four-year technology program.
Employment opportunities with a wide range of renewable energy industry employers exist nationwide. Potential job titles include wind turbine installer, photovoltaic system installer, solar thermal system installer, renewable energy technician, renewable energy system designer, renewable energy sales representative, and renewable energy commissioning specialist.
Recommended High School Subjects
Two years of algebra and one year of physical science (physics recommended). Electrical, plumbing and HVAC trade skills courses are desirable, but not necessary.
Special Equipment Needs
See the Tool List on the Renewable Energy Technologies major web page.
All entering students will be tested for English, math, and reading deficiencies. Students are expected to remediate any deficiencies as explained in the College catalog (see http://www.pct.edu/catalog/PlacementTesting.htm ).
This major is subject to the transfer standards established by the College (see http://www.pct.edu/catalog/TransferringCredits.htm ). Exceptions must be approved by the school dean.
A graduate of this major should be able to:
- demonstrate basic knowledge of sustainable concepts, including conservation, resource consumption, and environmental impacts.
- demonstrate a basic knowledge of construction, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and safety.
- demonstrate the ability to research, work in teams, communicate both verbally and in writing, and apply analytical skills to design and troubleshoot problems.
- compare financial and environmental costs and benefits of renewable energy technologies with traditional fossil fuel based systems.
- create and interpret drawings and specifications for renewable energy technologies.
- assess the impact of governmental policy on renewable energy technologies.
- develop a site analysis depicting conditions that impact renewable energy technologies, including solar access and wind.
- demonstrate general familiarity with geothermal, micro-hydro, and biomass.
- apply theory and codes required to install, troubleshoot, and maintain basic photovoltaic, solar thermal, and wind systems.
|FYE101||First Year Experience||1|
|RET101||Introduction to Renewable Energy||2|
|RET111||Direct Current Essentials||3|
|RET116||Residential Wiring Applications||3|
|ENL111||English Composition I||3|
|MTH180||College Algebra and Trigonometry I||3|
|RET120||Commercial Wiring Applications||3|
|RET122||Alternating Current Essentials||3|
|RET126||Drawing and Print Reading||3|
|BCT128||Building Materials Applications||2|
|CSC124||Information, Technology, and Society||3|
|ENL121||English Composition II||3|
|ENL201||Technical and Professional Communication||3|
|SPC101||Fundamentals of Speech||3|
|BCT104||Construction Safety and Equipment||1|
|RET214||Piping and Mechanical Applications||3|
|ACH262||Sustainability: Building and Living Green||3|| Writing Enriched Requirement &|
Science, Technology and Society Requirement
|PHS114||Physics with Technological Applications||4|
|RET222||Solar Thermal Systems||4|
|ELT229||Process Control Basics||3|
|SSE||Social Science Elective||3|
|FOR||Foreign Language Elective||3|
|AAE||Applied Arts Elective||3|
|IFE||International Field Experience Elective||3|
|FIT||Fitness and Lifetime Sports Elective||1|