Plastics and Polymer Engineering Technology (BPS)
(Effective Fall 2012)
- School of Industrial & Engineering Technologies
- Bachelor of Science Degree (B.S.)
- Green major
- More Information about Plastics and Polymer Engineering Technology
This major prepares students to work in all phases of new plastics product development. Graduates may work in plastics operations in which engineers pass plans and projects to management, who must carry out the planning, organization, and delivery of manufactured products. Emphasis is on the skills needed to lead projects and interface with engineering and development teams, as well as development of competencies in the science of polymer materials, test procedures, designing for manufacturability, large quantity processing, and quality assurance. Students have the opportunity to prepare for management and supervisory positions, as well as technical positions, sales, service, or research.
Production manager/engineering technologist, materials technologist, process engineering technologist, research and development technologist, product development management, mold and die development specialist, sales and service representative, engineer assistant, facilities manager, quality control specialist.
Recommended High School Subjects
A strong background in high school math and sciences is desired. An awareness of computer science equipment and software also is desired.
All entering students will be tested for English, math, and reading deficiencies. Students are expected to remediate any deficiencies as explained in this catalog (see http://www.pct.edu/catalog/PlacementTesting.htm ).
This major is subject to the transfer standards established by the College. Exceptions must be approved by the school dean.
A graduate of this major should be able to:
- select and apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of plastics and polymer engineering technology to broadly defined plastics and polymer engineering technology activities.
- select and apply a knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to plastic and polymer engineering technology problems that require the application of principles and applied procedures or methodologies.
- conduct standard tests and measurements; conduct, analyze, and interpret experiments; and apply experimental results to improve processes.
- design systems, components, or processes for broadly defined plastics and polymer engineering technology problems.
- function effectively as a member or leader on a technical team.
- identify, analyze, and solve broadly defined plastics and polymer engineering technology problems.
- communicate effectively regarding broadly defined plastics and polymer engineering technology activities.
- understand the need for and engage in self-directed continuing professional development.
- demonstrate an understanding of and a commitment to professional and ethical responsibilities, including a respect for diversity.
- understand the impact of plastics and polymer engineering technology solutions in a societal and global context.
- exhibit a commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement.
|FYE101||First Year Experience||1|
|PPT115||The Plastics Industry||2|
|PPT118||Polymer Processing Survey - Lecture||3|
|PPT119||Polymer Processing Survey - Lab||1|
|PPT128||Plastics and Elastomers||3|
|PPT129||Polymer Testing Lab||1|
|CSC124||Information, Technology, and Society||3|
|SSE||Social Science Elective||3|
|FOR||Foreign Language Elective||3|
|AAE||Applied Arts Elective||3|
|IFE||International Field Experience Elective||3|
|PPT160||Composites and Nanocomposites||3|
|CHM111||General Chemistry I||4|
|MTH180||College Algebra and Trigonometry I||3|
|ENL111||English Composition I||3|
|FIT||Fitness and Lifetime Sports Elective||1|
|MTT104||Manufacturing Processes and Toolmaking Survey||3|
|ENL201||Technical and Professional Communication||3|
|MTH182||College Algebra and Trigonometry II||3|
|PPT316||Mechanical Property and Testing||4|
|PPT370||Polymer Synthesis and Formulation||3|
|PPT371||Polymer Synthesis Lab||1|
|PPT372||Plastics Formulation Lab||1|
|SPC101||Fundamentals of Speech||3|
|BPT||Cultural Diversity Elective: Humanities/Social Science/Art/Foreign Language/Applied Arts/Int'l Field Exp||3|
|PPT320||Advanced Blow Molding||3|
|PPT340||Plastic Part Design||3|
|PPT360||CIM and Automation in Plastics Processing||3|
|PPT385||Project Management and Capstone Planning||3|
|FIT||Fitness and Lifetime Sports Elective||1|
|PPT410||Advanced Injection Molding||3|
|PPT450||Mold and Die Design||3|
|PPT451||Designing Molds and Dies||1|
|PPT452||Building Molds and Dies||1|
|PPT496||Plastics Engineering Technology Senior Project||3|
|ECO111||Principles of Macroeconomics||3|
|PPT420||Advanced Thermoforming and Rotational Molding||3|
|MET321||Engineering Ethics and Legal Issues||3|| Writing Enriched Requirement &|
Science, Technology and Society Requirement
Accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.