Career Fair & Career Preparation
The Spring 2014 Career Fairs were a success thanks to the many employers who attended offering jobs and internships, as well as the students and alumni who attended! Our career fairs are an excellent way to meet and network with hundreds of employers and their representatives (many of whom are Penn College alumni). View the Employer Directory Archive to see what employers have attended. Employers and their job offerings are sortable by major!
Some numbers to give you an idea of this semester's success…
- 1,124 students and 42 alumni stopped by one of the career fairs at Main Campus, Health Sciences (ATHS), or Earth Science Center.
- 130 employers registered at the Main Campus site, 55 at the Earth Science Center site, and 10 at the Health Sciences site.
- More than 2,900 full-time, part-time, internships, international, summer, and seasonal jobs offered to our students and alumni.
Career Services encourages freshman through seniors to participate and get ready for the career fair because employers are offering internships as well as jobs. Besides getting a foot in the door with a potential employer and looking good on a résumé, internships have other advantages:
- Possible college credit or certification
- An introduction to the field's culture and etiquette (Are clients addressed by their first name? Are jeans appropriate for Casual Friday?)
- Accumulating new skills
- Gaining a "real world" perspective on an occupation (How much overtime do employees really work? How much time is spent behind a desk versus in the field?)
It is widely known that nowadays a college diploma will not guarantee you a job, no matter how high your GPA is or how many honor societies you are involved with. Hands-on experience is valued by employers!
As a parent, how can I help prepare my son or daughter…
We're sure that many of you are starting to think (or have been thinking) about your son or daughter's career choices post-graduation. Whether your student is a freshman or is preparing for May graduation, it's always a good time to consider the job search. Fortunately, Penn College's Career Services makes it easy for your student to find all the information he or she needs for finding and pursuing that dream job! Below are some resources we thought you'd like to know as your son or daughter starts his or her journey into the career world.
- Penn College Career Fairs – Save the date – October 13 – 15, 2014
- VIP Fair (Volunteer, Internships, and Part-time) and Part-time Job Fair – the next Part-time Job Fair will be August 26, 2014.
- On-Campus Recruiting – Our Spring 2014 on-campus recruiting runs through May 2, 2014.
- Penn College Career Hub - The Penn College Career Hub is a powerful job search tool offered by Career Services!
- Earn & Learn Program - Part-time job opportunities for currently enrolled students who want to work part-time while going to school.
- Etiquette Dinners - Learn which bread plate or drink is yours, the right fork to eat with, and what to do about ordering beverages!
- WetFeet® - cutting-edge career resources including insider guides, career TV streaming video, employer profiles, and much more!
- Career Development Assistance – Resume & cover letter development, interviewing tips & mock interviews, job searches, and much more!
- Career Gear Clothes Closet - Career Gear is a 'clothes closet' of professional dress clothes provided to Penn College students free of charge and yes, they keep the clothes!