Refund/PCT OneCard Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How are Pennsylvania College of Technology refunds delivered to students?

Each student will receive a PCT OneCard from Higher One. Your card will arrive in the mail at your home address on file with Penn College. To receive your refund, you must activate your PCT OneCard. During card activation, you will choose how to receive your refund money.

When should I expect to receive my PCT OneCard?

Cards for new students will be mailed by Higher One following attendance of their Summer Connections session. Cards for all other students who have not previously received a card will not be mailed until after they have registered (paid) for their semester's classes.

What if I do not receive my PCT OneCard in the mail?

You may log on to PCTOneCard and use the "Where's My Card" self help feature that will provide you with the real time status of your card. Or, you may visit the Bursar's Office/Student Accounts in the Student & Administrative Services Center, Room 2098.

Do I need to activate my PCT OneCard even if I think I will not receive a refund?

Yes, it is recommended that you activate your card and select a refund option even if you think you will not receive a refund. Remember, the following types of refunds will be disbursed through the PCT OneCard:

  • Financial Aid and student loans
  • Tuition (if you drop a course within the refund timeframe or decide not to attend)
  • Meal Plans
  • Housing Security Deposits
What happens when I "activate" my PCT OneCard?

Activating your PCT OneCard provides you with password protected, secure personal access to the PCT OneCard website. Once logged in to this site, you can make your refund choice, set personal preferences, view your refund status, access your OneAccount, and much more.

What will happen to my refund if I don't activate my PCT OneCard?

Higher One will not be able to disburse your refund to you until you activate your card. Regardless of whether or not you anticipate that you will receive a refund, it is important to activate your card and choose a refund preference.

Note: If your refund contains Title IV funds (federal grants and loans), Federal law now requires Higher One to issue a paper check to your home address if you have not made a refund choice within 21 days from the time Higher One receives your refund for distribution. Not activating your card and making a refund choice means it will take about one month to receive your refund check in the mail.

What are my options for receiving student refunds?

All students are now required to have their refunds direct deposited to a bank account. Your options include having your refund:

  1. Directly deposited to your OneAccount - Easy Refund (same day).
  2. Deposited to another bank account of your choice (2 - 3 business days).
What is the OneAccount?

The OneAccount from Higher One is a fully functioning FDIC-insured checking account that allows you to access your student refunds quicker and easier than ever before. The OneAccount has no minimum balance, no monthly fees, and many Internet banking features. Check the online fee schedule for potential fees. With it, you can use your PCT OneCard to make purchases anywhere Debit MasterCard® is accepted.

What are the advantages of having my refunds deposited directly to my OneAccount?

Advantages include:

  1. Easy Refund (depositing your refund to your OneAccount) is the quickest way to gain access to your money. In order to have your refund directly deposited, activate your OneAccount as soon as possible.
  2. You can use the PCT OneCard as a debit card (NOT A CREDIT CARD) to make purchases at all Debit MasterCard locations, access cash at an ATM, pay bills, send money electronically, and so much more.
  3. There is no charge to you for receiving your refund directly in your PCT OneAccount. There is no monthly fee or minimum balance for the OneAccount.
How will I know when my refund has been issued?

You will receive an e-mail from Higher One when they have processed your refund. Notification by text message is also available by setting "mobile alert" options in the "profile" section of your Higher One account. Additionally, you will be able to see details of your refund by logging in to your Higher One account on the PCT OneCard website.

Can I have my refund deposited to another bank account?

Yes, but remember if you choose to have your refund deposited to a bank account of your choice, this transfer may take 2-3 business days from the day Penn College releases the funds.

Can I select a paper check?

No, all refunds will be issued by direct deposit either to your OneAccount (Easy Refund) or to a bank account of your choice.

What if I want to change how I receive my refund?

You can change your refund preference by logging in to your account and selecting "Refund Preferences" from the " Refunds" tab. Using the appropriate radio button, select one of the two available options. Do not forget to click the "Update Preference" button to complete the process. You will receive an e-mail from Higher One confirming your change of refund preference. Changing your preference only affects future refunds, not current refunds, or refunds that have already been disbursed.

Why is the Debit MasterCard® logo on the PCT OneCard?

If you choose to accept the OneAccount, the PCT OneCard is the card you use to access your funds. With the Debit MasterCard logo on it, you can use the card as a debit card wherever Debit MasterCard® is accepted. The card is NOT a credit card. It is a DEBIT card.

Where can I use my Debit MasterCard®?

You can use your PCT OneCard to make purchases anywhere Debit MasterCard® is accepted. There are more than 32 million locations worldwide.

Will I be charged a fee for using my PCT OneCard as a Debit MasterCard®?

Please note that there is a fee associated with each PIN-based transaction (see fee schedule) and we strongly recommend the use of your PCT OneCard in 'credit' mode. 'Credit' mode requires you to swipe the card and sign your receipt. It is also a clever way to avoid paying PIN-based transaction fees.

Will I be charged a fee for using my PCT OneCard at the First National Bank ATM in the Campus Center?

The First National Bank ATM will not charge you a fee when you use your PCT OneCard. However, Higher One will charge your account a "Non Higher One ATM Transaction" fee (see fee schedule) for using an ATM that does not belong to them. To ensure that you are not charged any ATM fees, it is recommended that you use either the Higher One ATM located in Dauphin Hall or outside the College Store in the Bush Campus Center for your cash withdrawals.

How will my parents receive their Parent PLUS refunds?

Any refund resulting from Parent PLUS loans will be mailed by Penn College directly to your parents in the form of a paper check. Parents do not have Penn College accounts and their refunds cannot be processed through Higher One.

What if I have additional questions?

For more information about the PCT OneCard and refunds, refer to the OneAccount User's Guide, visit PCTOneCard's Easy Help, or call Higher One Customer Support at 877-261-9370.

Pennsylvania College of Technology
One College Avenue
Williamsport, PA 17701


© 1995 Pennsylvania College of Technology. Penn College® and degrees that work® are registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.