Summer Developmental Courses
Remediating academic weaknesses prior to enrolling in your first full semester is highly recommended by Penn College deans and faculty. If you choose to get a head start on your developmental courses, you may take summer courses either at Penn College or at a college close to home.
Taking Summer Courses at Penn College
We offer all of our developmental courses during the summer at a discount. Summer course scheduling will open to new students beginning in April. If you attend a Pre-enrollment Advising Session prior to April, you may contact the Advisement Center by phone to schedule a summer course; if you attend in April or later, you may schedule at your session. On-campus housing is available.
Taking Summer Courses at Another College
To take a course at a different college, complete the following steps:
- Before scheduling a course at another school, be sure that you are scheduling the right course. The Advisement Center can provide you with a course equivalency, or you may look up equivalencies using our Transfer Course Equivalency Search.
- Once you have identified an equivalent, contact the college you plan to attend to discuss the process you will need to complete to enroll in the course.
- When you have completed the course, have the college or university send an official transcript to the Penn College Admissions Office.
- You must earn a grade of “C” or higher (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) to transfer the course. Grades below C will not transfer.
- Note: We must have evidence that you have completed a course with a C or higher before we will update your schedule. However, most summer classes end shortly before fall classes begin, and your official transcript might not arrive in time for the start of the semester. Therefore, you may provide alternative documentation, such as an unofficial transcript showing your final grade or a grade report from your instructor; this will allow us to update your schedule prior to the first day of classes. The Registrar’s Office will still require an official transcript from the other institution before granting the transfer credit.