National Hands-On Thermoforming Workshops (2013 brochure)
Heavy Gauge/Cut Sheet Thermoforming Workshop
Jay Waddell to lead Heavy Gauge/Cut Sheet workshop with special guest speakers to be announced. Topics include advances in raw materials and sheet extrusion, heating the sheet, forming, trimming, and handling the part. Advanced sessions on raw materials, rheological properties, specialty sheet, part, mold and plug assist design, heating technology, advanced forming techniques, trimming technology and diagnostic tools.
There are currently no classes scheduled for this course. Please check back at a later time or contact WDCE to see when the course will be offered again.
Thin Gauge/Roll-Fed Thermoforming Workshop
START DATE & TIME:
- Tues., June 25, 8 a.m.
Mark Strachan to lead Thin Gauge/Roll-Fed workshop with special guest speakers to be announced. Topics include advances in raw materials and sheet extrusion, heating the sheet, forming, trimming and downstream handling of the part. Advanced sessions on raw materials, rheological properties, specialty sheet, part, mold and plug assist design, heating technology, advanced forming techniques, trimming technology and diagnostic tools.
50% instruction, 50% hands-on
- Plastic Materials for Thermoforming
- Basic definitions of plastic materials
- How plastics are made and the effect on material characteristics
- Molecular characteristics and the importance of understanding them
- Structures and the effect on material properties
- A simple, but necessary, overview of chemistry
- What are material properties, and what do you need to know about them
- material test methods - the good, the bad, the worthless
- significance to thermoformers
- What thermoformers have to know about sheet extrusion
- Definitions and the process
- Equipment and how it impacts your sheet
- Process variables and the effects on extruded sheet problems
- Writing sheet specifications - tips, clues, and pitfalls
- what you need to tell the extruder
- Getting sheet quality you want every time
- Thermoforming Techniques – Basic, fundamental aspects of thick- and thin-gauge thermoforming:
- Thin-gauge plastic sheet feeding methods – pin-chains, nip-roll, etc.
- Thick-gauge plastic sheet feeding methods – clamp frames
- Heating the sheet, hardware, and important set-up conditions
- Heating the roll-fed sheet
- Heating the sheet-fed sheet
- Heated sheet measuring devices
- Basic thermoforming processes and techniques
- "Blur" between sheet-fed and roll-fed forming techniques
- Advanced Forming Techniques – Techniques that help ensure consistent quality and save you money:
- Pre-stretching techniques – pre-blow/draw, vacuum bleed
- Techniques for superior part definition – high pressure forming, coining, and match metal
- Trimming 101 – Basic, fundamental aspects of trimming the formed part:
- Basic thick-gauge and thin-gauge trimming techniques
- Cutting tools – band saw, knives, drilling, router, etc.
- Thick-gauge part holding fixtures
- Advanced Trimming, Assembly, and Stacking – Thick- and thin-gauge trimming techniques and cost saving considerations:
- Floating knives
- CNC, robotic, ultrasonic, laser
- Heated knives and anvils
- Thick-gauge part assembly methods
- Match metal trim
- Final Wrap-Up and Questions to Thermoforming Expert Panel – A panel of experts will answer your questions